Search This Blog

Sunday 13 November 2022

St Peter's, Normanby le Wold. Treasuring.

I've been to the highest point in the wolds today, to the tiny village of Normanby.  These villages with a population of about 60 are quite common in this part of Lincolnshire but each has its own church which is treasured by its community.



I feel very treasured by the congregation here.  During the pandemic, when I was fairly rigorously isolating, they made it possible for me to celebrate the Eucharist on Christmas Day.  It was the first time in over nine months that I could do so.



There has been a church here since before the Doomsday book of 1086 but the present church is much newer, dating from the thirteenth century.  By 1867 it was very dilapidated so it was "restored" and a new chancel built.  It's open daily for visitors, often people walking the Viking Way.  I helped to provide some benches so that walkers could take off their boots and have a good look around without fearing of leaving muddy footprints!



It is cleaned (and loved!) by a wonderful lady and she is a treasure!  During the pandemic I was one of a group of well wishers who assembled (socially distanced of course) to sing Happy Birthday when she was ninety.



6 comments:

  1. Another lovely church. I've not heard of the Viking Way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have a number of named routes through Areas if Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). The Viking Wat runs from the Humber bridge to Oakham in Rutland.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely church and such a great idea to have benches so walkers take off muddy boots.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They get a lot of walkers through which is potentially a lot of mud!

      Delete
  3. First time visitor to your blog. I enjoyed the little history lesson. Beautiful church. I am a follower now and will be back to visit again!

    ReplyDelete