Search This Blog

Friday 30 September 2022

D is for Deacon

 I decided not to write a post yesterday because I wanted to save "D" for today, the anniversary of my ordination as a Deacon.

Dressed as a Deacon ready to officiate at my first wedding

It was in 1990 that I was ordained in Leicester Cathedral, now famous as the burial place of Richard III.  In the Church of England and some other churches, the diaconate is the first stage of ordained ministry but in some other churches deacons are not ordained.  However they are appointed, deacons are a sign of servanthood in the church.  The word "deacon" actually means "servant".  Our ordination service says 

"Deacons are ordained so that the people of God may be better equipped to make Christ known. Theirs is a life of visible self-giving. Christ is the pattern of their calling and their commission; as he washed the feet of his disciples, so they must wash the feet of others"

Although I have since been ordained priest, I will always be a deacon, a servant.  I value this ministry.

But ordination cannot compare to baptism, that sacrament in which "Christ claimed me for his own".  What a blessing!

5 comments:

  1. What lovely memories and I didn't know Deacon meant Servant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice anniversary to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I know you've shared joy, sorrow m, and peace with your various communities you e served.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the day of your ordination as a Deacon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to serve and , indeed, to be claimed as Christ's own!

    ReplyDelete