Search This Blog

Saturday 1 October 2022

E is for Enegy and EDF


 I am not one of nature's ranters but EDF has got right up my nose!

I think I am one of the luckiest people on the planet because I bought a thirty month energy fix last August before prices went haywire.  My monthly direct debit is very low now compared to many especially as I have built up a large credit over the last year.  I've had a more efficient  boiler installed and I have been replacing quite a few appliances with energy efficient jobbies as the old ones have come to the end of their life.

Where I am not lucky is in my smart meter!  I am very pro smart meter and I used to have one which worked well and definitely helped me reduce my usage.  However, it was replaced about eighteen months ago and the new one, although it is supposed to be smart is DUMB!  It won't communicate with EDF and the in-home display won't work either.  

I complained to EDF and an engineer came and said the chances of it ever communicating with EDF are negligible and it needs replacing but EDF won't do that.  My meters have to be read manually and as I am disabled that is difficult for me - which is why I want a smart meter.  Initially they said they would read quarterly (because of my disability), then they said annually, and now it will be only once every two years!!!  

It is read only biennially so I will receive an accurate bill only once every two years.  The corrections will be made at the end of those two years at the rate chargeable at that time.    I shall have to ask other people to read it for me.

This makes me really angry.  The change of frequency has received no publicity and it will hit vulnerable people very hard.   I am OK but please help anyone who might need help in meter reading and submission of readings.

6 comments:

  1. I am really angry reading this. It is a disgusting way to treat a vulnerable customer. I suggest that you complain further up the food chain and take the matter up with Meghna Tewari, who is the Head of Retail Market Policy for Ofgem. She is listed on the You.Gov website as the disability and access ambassador for energy. Anything landing on her desk will no doubt be passed on to someone at EDF who will be able to help, or at least cause them to look into the change of policy. It is worth a shot (and the price of a stamp!) Good luck. Tracy X
    Ofgem
    10 South Colonnade
    Canary Wharf
    London
    E14 4PU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Tracy. I'm starting my writing to my MP. I have a complaint registered with EDF and am going though the proper channels. If I don't get satisfaction I will be making my second complaint to the Ombudsman within the space of a year.

      Delete
  2. That is nuts. You keep right on going through the channels with your complaints. If necessary reach out more than once.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on arranging your energy fix before the present energy chaos. I'm with EDF too and my Smart Meter was as dumb as yours. It chose not to send my gas usage to its masters, although seemed quite happy to record my electricity usage. I duly informed EDF. But subsequent bills showed estimated readings for gas usage. I got in touch again, complained about my UN-Smart meter and my inability to see any numbers and asked for someone to come and read my meter. Oh no, due to Covid it's not possible. The gas meter is on the outside of my home with easy access. No, still not allowed. After much messaging and mild ranting a Meter Reader arrived, read it - and broke the lock on the meter housing! That's another story . . . but EDF had to subtract over £400 from my bills over the 3 years I had been disputing their figures. There's always hope, Mary; don't give up. Keep at 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EDF were the third company to adopt my smart meters. The first company had them installed and couldn't talk to them, the second managed to talk to them and then collapsed. I was moved to EDF who managed to get them working. I have downloaded the app and can see my usage broken down by day. They send the readings through every 30 minutes online. Don't give up, ask EDF to try to get them to talk, it really is worth it. May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they would do something about mine! I have complained four times and been to the Ombudsman but EDF says I have meters which measure my usage so they won't replace them.
      My real anger is that it will be the most vulnerable in out society who are unable to read their meters and EDF will send a reader only biennially. That means that when they do read the meters everything used over a two year period will be charged at the rate on the day they read them Imagine if you received a bill for all the energy you have used over the last two years charged at the rate payable today. EDF will be laughing all the way to the bank!

      Delete