Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 December 2021

It's an unwrap!

 I had a lovely Christmas although it was probably not much like yours and it looks as though most of you had a great time too.

I started my day with going to church at Market Rasen at 8am.  I offered to take the service there because the vicar has young children and I thought they might like extra time together on Christmas morning.  That's probably the best gift I gave to anyone.  

And it was a gift to me!  The 8am service is usually very quiet with maybe half a dozen people but many of my extended family came as did Annie-the-home-enhancer and her family so altogether we had twenty three people including nine children.  My cousin had brought a children's activity so there were just joyful, happy noises from the children's corner as everyone celebrated the birth of our Saviour.

After church we had a general present swap and then I came home to my traditional quiet day.  Except that I thought the phone would never stop!  So many good wishes (and quite a few making sure I wouldn't like to go for a noisy Christmas lunch as well!).  

Christmas lunch was a ham roll, mince pies and cream cheese.  I can never be bothered to cook much on Christmas Day and this year I couldn't be bothered to cook Boxing Day either.  Each day I opened a few presents, snoozed, listened to audiobooks and relaxed.

Yesterday I finally cooked my Christmas lunch: Three bird roast, pigs in blankets, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, peas, sprouts, tenderstem broccoli, chestnuts, lardons, and roast beetroot, parsnip, onions, carrots, and sweet potato.  All for me.  I didn't bother with pud!  

And after lunch I opened the last of my presents, a stocking filled with home-made treasures from my dear friend Bonnie, including these beautiful birds to hang on my tree.  

11 comments:

  1. Lovely, each day different. And what a meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a grand time of it you have had for days! What is a three bird roast? I roasted a chicken here that turned out spectacular because I dry brined it the day before. First time doing that for me.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a slab of turkey, a slab of duck and a slab of chicken wrapped together with bacon. It serves about six people and takes less oven space than a whole bird. I had lots of leftovers too. So I'm still having a grand time!

      Delete
  3. You know how to honor the season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great Christmas. God bless you richly in the New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have every confidence that he will - and may he bless you, too.

      Delete
  5. You had a wonderful Christmas. Love the birds. Thank you for the explanation on what a three bird roast was. Sounds very yummy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exceedingly yummy! God bless you, too, in 2022.

      Delete
  6. Oh look at those lovely birds handmade for you by a friend. You gave a wonderful gift to the vicar so they could enjoy family time and it turned out lovely for you. When I attend church and see children I am happy because they are the future of the church. A treat for me was attending a candlelight Christmas eve service, a real spirit lifter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a truly joyful Christmas and was able to help someone else to do so too. What more could I ask!

      Delete