Search This Blog

Saturday 30 October 2021

Eight weeks to go

Family wedding in the mid-fifties.  Mine is the face almost peeping out!
 This week I really pressed on with the Christmas cards.  It's one of the most time-consuming jobs that I have to do in the run-up to Christmas.  I write a "round robin" type letter for some, others have a brief note written in the card and others are just signed.  I have a large collection of family photos, a few dating back over a hundred years, and I get one or two duplicated to put in family Christmas cards.  I find it all too easy to get in a muddle with cards so I like to get this job out of the way.  It will take several weeks at a few a day.  

I've continued making Christmas puds.  So far I've been asked for fourteen of various sizes.    Again this is a job which takes a long time but it's not "my" time - I just mix everything and then leave them in the slow cooker for a long time.  Using a slow cooker is slow but I don't need to keep checking in case they boil dry.  I've borrowed a couple of slow cookers from friends.

I've been making "hats" for jars of jam and chutney. I like giving things where it shows that I have taken extra care over a home made gift!

10 comments:

  1. You are busy! It took me a bit of looking to catch your face peeping out in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to keep a record of what I do when so I will be able to see why I am always in total chaos just before Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Me too - I didn't initially see your little face peeping out, but I did wonder if the lady next to you was your Mum. She looks a lot like you.
    What a busy build-up to Christmas - all those cards and the Christmas Puddings. Do you have any 'vicaring' duties as well?
    It's a good feeling to be organised in advance though, so well done for all your efforts. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sitting between my parents. All the others are aunts and uncles. The wedding took place midweek so my many cousins would all have been at school but I was only three at the time.

      Delete
    2. The vicaring bit was the first to be organised - I'm making sure a vicar with children can have a few hours with them on Christmas morning and I'm giving another vicar the day off on Boxing Day, which is a Sunday.

      Delete
  3. So much fun getting ready for a more homemade Christmas! I haven't started yet other than making a list of ingredients I need to buy for the food gifts I want to do.

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For most of my life I was vicar to give parishes so I knew I needed to start early. I'm trying to get that habit back a bit more.

      Delete
  4. Christmas cards, yikes I really need to get moving. Right now I feel like I am so very far behind.

    I do have most of the baking ingredients bought though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep buying a few ingredients each week. As a regular reader of your blog I am in awe of your ability to get things done!

      Delete
  5. Well done you! Last year I wasn't "in the mood" and I wsent no Christmas Greetings - no cards, no emails, nothing! So I imagine we may receive fewer reciprocal greetings this year. I am trying to cut down on "real" cards but I will try to send out an email and virtual card this year. We're hoping to get to the UK too, so some of the cards can be posted there - it may be a little cheaper!!

    ReplyDelete