Search This Blog

Sunday 6 June 2021

Clem(atis)

I didn't save many plants which were already in this garden when I moved in.  The previous occupants had been a young family for whom the football posts had been more important than the flowers.  But near the back door there was a clematis and I'm happy to say that it is still there.
In my garden today

The garden when I was a child had lots of clematis, especially after 7th September 1965.  That was the date of my parents' Silver Wedding Anniversary and many of their friends gave clematis plants "for Clem and his mate".

Enjoying the garden over 65 years ago.
My Father was indeed Clem, so the pun (which had occurred to quite a lot of their friends at the same time) was appropriate.  Daddy erected trellises all over the garden and each year there was an abundance of colour.  

The first bloom the year is now full open.  Each day I am reminded of my lovely Father who played with me so often in the garden.  Thanks, Daddy.


6 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say that I was here to visit. I came via Small Moments blog.
    Lovely memories of your childhood ( and a lovely Clematis too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a pretty Clematis and it looks as though it is happy and well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems t thrive ob being hacked (rather than pruned) every year and it gets the drips when the hanging basket is watered. Otherwise it is just one very determined plant.

      Delete
  3. What lovely memories.

    That colour clematis is gorgeous. What variety is it?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea of the variety - I'm hoping someone may be able to tell me!

      Delete