Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 July 2019

Friendship Day

One of my feeds tells me that today is International Friendship Day so I've been doing a little bit of hunting on the web and as far as I can see it may be Friendship Day (I hope all days are that!) but certainly not International Friendship Day!   

Friendship Day is a day with a murky sort of presence,  It's celebrated on different days in different countries.  Hallmark Cards tried to promote it back in the nineteen thirties but met with consumer resistance.  (Good for nineteen thirties consumers, say I!)

Anyway, I've been thinking of my various friends whilst I've been indulging in my early  morning coffee.  There's Alice, one of my oldest friends.  I met her when her family came over from Northern Ireland when I was still at school and the headmaster asked me to be her "godmother" until she found her feet.  Fifty years on we are still friends.

There's Amy who came to stay earlier this year. Many years ago she replied to my advert for accommodation when I moved to a new city and she was my landlady for several years.  After a short break I became her landlady but no matter who was lodger and who was landlady we were friends and forty years on we still enjoy each other's company.  

Then there's Sue.  I picked her up at a jumble sale!  She was a great jumble sale go-er and I was behind a stall when we got talking and I mentioned that I was hoping to set up a Guide Company and she offered to help.  Forty years on she is living in France but we still manage to meet at least once a year

There's Jack.  I met him originally when he was my chimney sweep.  We were sorting his daughter's wedding when he told me that my garden looked a mess so I suggested that if he didn't like it he could do something about it.  From that unpromising beginning a real friendship sprang.

I've met many wonderful people over the years and made friends when I have least expected it.  Where have you found friendships?


5 comments:

  1. Rightly said that Friends are important in each ones life.This is a true article about friends .Happy Friendship Day 2019
    http://bit.ly/2Yao7Tu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of friendship day before, but what a lovely day if only it was kept simple without the need to spend £££s on cards and gifts. Wishing you a lovely day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found new friends since moving here to Vantage House but I also feel I have lost some. Am I setting my standards too high when I expect friends to share in the reaching out? I get tired of always being the one to do the contacting. Are they trying to tell me something when they don't reciprocate? I just had lunch today with my longest lasting friend. We go back 35+ years which is great. Her husband and my husband have recently built a friendship and we four are headed on vacation together to Spain in October. But she is the exception. I am very thankful for her friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends are so important and I hope mine know I cherish each of them without a special day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first I have heard of friendship day. I think it makes much more sense to have a day where we think about our friends, those still here and those who have left, than International Chocolate Day (though I do love me some good chocolate).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete