Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 July 2019

The Class of '94


Remember that I said that I was going to a special event this month?  Well yesterday was the day. I was invited to a garden party at Lambeth Palace which the Archbishop and Mrs Welby gave in celebration of the twenty fifth anniversary of the ordination of women to the priesthood.  I was one of the women who were ordained in those first ceremonies and I was invited!


I'd never been to Lambeth Palace before yesterday.  It has the oldest continuously cultivated garden in London and it's a delightful mixture of herbaceous borders and wild areas.  The Archbishop and Mrs Welby chatted with all their guests and there was a light buffet lunch provided.  

Yesterday was very hot in London and I think most of us found the heat rather trying.

What was even more trying was the journey home.  I boarded my first train at 3pm but the east coast main line was then closed as the overhead cables were damaged so I had to wait until 7.30pm for a train as far as Peterborough.  Fortunately I was able to use the first class lounge - King's Cross station was mayhem and incredibly hot and airless.  Five of us trying to get to Newark were sent there in a taxi and then a very kind gentleman took me to Market Rasen where he lived and I had left my car.  I finally arrived home at nearly midnight after a seventeen hour day which I shall never forget!


26 comments:

  1. Oh Mary! Such a shame that a Very Special Day was spoiled by the journey home; the heat and the late arrival home must have been extremely trying for you. Hopefully you will be able to stay cool from now on while this heatwave lasts.
    Having said that, we had storms last night and today has been cool and overcast, so much more comfortable than of late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The journey was trying but I feel very pleased that I managed it. I shall now dine out on it for weeks!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful garden and grand party, pity about the journey home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day and nearly 24hours on I'm looking back on it as a sort of adventure!

      Delete
  3. That must have been an unforgettable experience, a well deserved occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I knew it would be hard to get there (although not as hard as it proved!) but I was determined to go!

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous garden! A bit of mayhem on the way home seals the memory of the day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to read about your horrendous journey home but what a celebration. Congratulations a well deserved party in recognition of a great achievement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Actually the journey home has given me a little confidence about what I can accomplish.

      Delete
  6. How utterly delightful [apart from the journey] I am going to London tomorrow on the train from Dorset - hoping it is not too bad. My granddaughter's nursery announced they would be closed tomorrow because of the heat - so I will see a little more of her [but my daughter has to take a days leave to look after her] Lambeth palace grounds look lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful honour - congratulations on being a part of such an historic "class". And after that horrendous trip home I think you deserve to "dine out" on it for a good long while! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great occasion to celebrate. Sorry you are experiencing crushing heat there. We had it here last week and it will return next week again. What a journey home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. QW'ew expecting even hotter weather today - it's a bit much for me.

      Delete
  9. My oh my what an adventure but what a wonderful memory you will have of this event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great and I'm still smiling at my memories of the day

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful way to celebrate. The trip home, while trying was an adventure I bet.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I shall remember the adventure much longer than I shall remember the discomfort. And I shall remember the kindness I received.

      Delete
  11. What an honour, you must feel very special to be celebrated in this way. Such a shame that the end to the day was also unforgettable, but for totally different reasons, we just don't seem to be able to cope with extremes of weather in this country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very special day and I can dine out on the experience for quite a long time.

      Delete
  12. So pleased it was a wonderful experience, Mary. I am sure the journey home will fade into the past leaving fantastic memories of a well deserved visit to Lambeth Palace. See you on 6th September. have a good summer. Mandyx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lindas imagens. Boa semana.

    ReplyDelete