Search This Blog

Saturday 1 September 2018

So that was August

August was a very lazy month!  I've had a few bursts of activity but I've done a lot of lounging around.  Aren't I a lucky girl!


The high spot of my month was definitely my trip to North Yorkshire.  I feel so proud of my nephew who completed the Coast To Coast Walk with a huge grin on his face.  It's about two hundred miles long and he did it in less than two weeks so I think I am allowed to be a very proud Auntie.  Mind you, he says I am a very eccentric auntie as I sat and knitted on the cliff top as I waited for him.



This trip also brought joy as I sought out a very old friend with whom I was in danger of losing contact.  She had moved and it was by a mere fluke that I managed to find her.

I value friendship highly and have had several meals out with friends including a birthday meal for one of my cousins.  It's one of the joys of my retirement that my cousins are once again becoming my friends.  Another cousin came and sorted my TV so I can stream programmes and yet another rescued me when my washing machine had a hissy fit.


I've had another comping win - this time of tickets for a house renovation show in London but I'll be giving the tickets away.  

I've had another of those sad/happy times when a group of parishes which I've been looking after got its very own vicar so I am redundant.  I'm happy for the vicar and the parishes though.  Don't worry, another group has already approached me and I've done a wedding and two funerals!  I'm having a few Sundays in the pews of my local church then I'll be out again in the villages every Sunday, I'm sure.  

10 comments:

  1. That's a lovely photo of you, Mary, looking very relaxed and smiley. Well done to your very fit nephew - but I hope you weren't stuck up on the clifftops for 2 weeks!!!
    Enjoy your local church while you wait for the next 'Call of Duty', then take pleasure in doing the rounds of other parishes later in the year. I imagine you making friends wherever you go. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a slightly surreal moment on the cliff top. I sat knitting, a busker played hits of the fifties and sixties, and everyone who passed had a little smile at the crazy lady doing her knitting! I just supported him at the end - he's had a tough year and this was an important stage in his quest to get fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done nephew!
    I'm sure you will continue to be in demand in your locality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I will be in demand but it's quite nice to sit in the pews occasionally.

      Delete
  4. I find seeing people knitting pure joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was lovely to sit and lots of people spoke.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Mary! What a lovely photo of you! You look so happy! And your nephew is a very handsome young man -- and accomplished -- you have every right to be a proud auntie! Your August sounds perfect! I am sorry mine is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a post half-written to start September and this month is looking good too! I was laughing at myself in the photo.

      Delete
  6. we have several folk here at Vantage House with trundle chairs like yours. Good to finally see it.
    Redundant sounds so terrible. Wouldn't available be better?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Available would sound better but redundant gets me the sympathy vote. And no-one believes it anyway! I'm up fr whatever God wants.

    ReplyDelete