Search This Blog

Sunday 30 September 2018

So Thankful

Today has been a day of thankfulness.

St Margaret, Usselby - geograph.org.uk - 105767.jpg
Usselby Church
It started this morning when I celebrated the Eucharist at a new-to-me church at Usselby.  St Margaret's reputedly dates from  the fourteenth century but you'd never guess that  from the outside.   It was "modernised" in 1889 and the modernisers did it no favours on the outside but inside it has real charm.  Modernised is a comparative word though as this very rural church has no electricity. 
Inside Usselby Church

Did you know that "Eucharist" is derived from a Greek word meaning Thanksgiving?  Celebrating the Eucharist was a good way of starting my day of special thankfulness to God.
Inside Thornton le Moor Church

Then this evening I led worship at the Harvest Thanksgiving at Thornton Le Moor.  As I've said before this is another church without electricity but we had a good organist on the harmonium and we sang our thanks to God enthusiastically.

And today has been a day of quiet private thanksgiving too for on this day in 1990 I knelt before the Bishop in Leicester Cathedral to be made a Deacon.  


10 comments:

  1. A service by lamp or candlelight is so lovely. You have been busy again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does look beautiful, so nice to have a service by lamplight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely but I now know I must take a lamp of some sort for myself when I go to the carol service!

      Delete
  3. I love the old churches that rely on candles and manpower and there are many in Cornwall. My particular favourite is the one on Rame Head, which is still open all day, with its ancient carved stone font and decorated pew ends, plus the memorials and histories of local families. I wonder about all the people who have worshipped here and taken care of this little church over the centuries since it was built. You're looking forward to that Carol Service, arem't you? Lol, lol.
    Incidentally, Leicester Cathedral was the venue for our school Carol Services as I attended Alderman Newton's Girls'School, almost opposite the cathedral and after the school was transferred to a new site, a Car Park was built on our old playground - under which lay the remains of King Richard III. That was quite a shock when he was discovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy carols services more than harvest festivals, it has to be said. Carol services rarely need a sermon: it's just a case of being MC which is more relaxing. Lazy little madam, as my Mother would have called me!

      Delete
  4. Now wondering if there are any churches in Suffolk without electricity?
    Happy Anniversary of being a Deacon

    ReplyDelete
  5. That could be a new hunt for you, Sue. I enjoy your "take" on the churches you visit. And thank you for your good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twenty-eight years! Yesterday was a special day indeed, as Sue says, Happy Anniversary.
    Two lovely churches, two happy congregations. (I hope you were not on your own at the Usselby church).

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, there were twelve in the congregation. Not bad. Twenty eight years of wonder on my part. Thanks for your kind wishes.

    ReplyDelete