Search This Blog

Thursday 4 July 2019

You can't direct the wind but you can adjust your sails

Sue at  The Cottage at the end of a Lane has been reflecting today on technology, living alone, and the simple life.  (Hope that's a fair summary, Sue, if you're reading!)  She's certainly made me think.

I've lived alone for most of my adult life.  When I was younger I would let out a room which helped with the budget, and I was a carer in my own home for several years, but basically, I live alone and I like it.  

"Alone" is, for me a neutral word,  "Loneliness" is a sad word, and "Solitude" is a happy word and I could use all three to describe different parts of my life.  I spend most of my life alone: a few days I am lonely and long for company when there's no-one around to share with, but most days I enjoy the solitude.  

John Donne wrote, "No man is an island" and neither is this woman.  I have no immediate family but I put a lot of energy into maintaining good relationships with my wider family, some of whom rarely or never reciprocate but that's their choice.  The time they can be guaranteed to remember me is when they need to organise a funeral!!!  Technology is a boon in keeping in contact.  I'm a great letter writer but many people prefer a text, email or phone call.  

The time will come when I will need to rely even more on technology to keep me comfortable and safe.  Personal alarms and sensors, an automatic door for the garage, maybe buying frozen meals if food preparation becomes too hard, and the many new ideas which are being developed may all play their part in my future.  

I'm part of the church.  My vocation in retirement means I'm not a regular member of any congregation but rather lead worship where I'm needed (although at the moment I am participating rather more in worship at my local church) and I think this has nudged me into seeing the church in a much deeper way.

And I have friends.  I'm going out to a local cafe today for lunch with a friend and last week I was at a sea-side picnic to celebrate the birthday of another friend.  I can have a chat on the phone any time and can just get in my car and go visiting. 

Last (for the moment!) and by no means least, I have bloggy friends, some of whom I've met face-to-face, with some I exchange emails and many whose blogs I comment on or who comment on mine.  Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. Its times like this when you read a friends post what a wonderful community blogworld is and like you I am thankful for it. Technology has kept me in touch with family and I love to be able to see the grandchildren when we skype enabling us to be part of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your perspective on life. And I like your line'"Alone" is, for me a neutral word, "Loneliness" is a sad word, and "Solitude" is a happy word,' I totally agree with you on that statement.


    I like simple. I crave simple. Technology is a bit of a thorn in my side but I'm REALLY glad for the friends I've made and for some of the really beautiful people I've had the privilege of knowing through technology and the internet. You, very much included.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too read Sue's post and I have to say that I completely agree with your perspective. I have family but they all live quite a distance from me so we email and phone but only get together a couple of times a year.
    I have always lived alone as an adult and it suits me best. And yes, there is a big difference between being alone and being lonely.
    I am lucky to have some very good friends and I make an effort to keep in touch and to plan time together - but - I don't mind being by myself - I have a lot of interests and I'm never bored. I really think it depends on the individual - but I'd say I was pretty content with things as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like others our family for the most part lives a distance away and technology keeps us all in touch (though at times technology makes them feel much too close for my liking, but that is another story).

    I have only lived alone for a few years during University, but Harvey and I are both introverts and give each other the space we need.

    I also think that being able to touch base with like minded people is a wonderful thing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was very grateful for technology when my kids were away at university, it enabled me to keep in touch with them, and still does in my son's case as he lives a long distance from me now. Having family doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get on with them, friends are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete