Search This Blog

Friday 26 July 2024

O is for Orchid

 To give me a houseplant is to condemn it to death.  That is a simple truth.

Not mine but it could be!

A few years ago Jack's daughter and her husband asked me to help them re-affirm their marriage vows.   I had officiated at the original ceremony twenty years earlier.  All well and good.

But after the ceremony the happy couple gave me a thank you present.  Which was an orchid.  And knowing my "skill" with houseplants, Jack sniggered.  He knew he would be crowing soon.  

I took it home and googled "care of orchids" and I discovered it would like bright light but not direct sunlight.  So I put it on the bathroom window sill which is south facing but I thought the frosted glass would moderate the brightness of the sunshine.  And I waited for the poor thing to die.  



Roughly weekly I gave it a drink.  I found some drip feed made especially for orchids.  And I ignored any advice which Jack gave me.

I'm claiming crowing rights!


14 comments:

  1. Wow. You've done better than I. Mine gave up the ghost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing what a bit of determination not to be beaten by Jack does for me!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous orchid. Good for you keeping it flourishing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beauty, and you should rightly crow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Didn't you do well? That is beautiful proof that you are a skilled orchid looker-afterer. Huh! What does that Jack know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope he reads that! I have had the orchid for at least three years now.

    ReplyDelete