Search This Blog

Saturday 6 May 2023

Coronation Day 2023

I feel it's pretty unfashionable to say this, but I am looking forward to my day in front of the TV watching the Coronation.  We have a Caistor "Street Party" tomorrow which I may go, to but today I have sorted a plate of snacky bits, and got my knitting out for a day at home.

I wrote yesterday about the 1953 bash but this one will be very different.  I haven't heard of any distribution of Coronation mugs to school children, but maybe that wouldn't be appropriate in a time of fiscal restraint.  I have seen a few Coronation souvenirs.  I had hoped to buy a commemorative tin of biscuits so that I could eat the bikkies and keep the tin, but none of our local supermarkets had such a thing.  I understand that M & S had some but that's quite a way for me to go.  Instead I have had to buy an empty tin which is probably better for my waistline.  

What there has been a lot of is single-use tat like single use Union Flag decorated bowls, plates and hats.  This seems a shame as the King has tried to emphasise sustainability in the elements of today over which he has had influence. 



Looking back at my pictures of the 1953 street party there is a noticeable lack of decorations.  This time my neighbours have displayed the Union Flags and bunting which they used for the Diamond Jubilee, VE Day and the Platinum Jubilee.  I went through my not inconsiderable stash and made guardsmen for my bungalow.  Don't worry they'll get stashed away for whatever we have next!

5 comments:

  1. You're all set for the event. I think I will read about it in the news tomorrow or later today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching for several hours and am still enjoying it. The knitting has benefitted!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful BBC production, didnt you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! Can't beat our ceremonial displays - the precision, the sheer size of that parade and the ability to see that 4,000 marchers, many horses and several military bands all set off at the exact same moment, with the bands all playing the same music at the same time . . . WOW!!! That huge "HOORAY!!!" from the massed military in the Buckingham Palace gardens gave me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete