Search This Blog

Monday 22 August 2022

An Unanticipated Difficulty

 I thought I had it well planned.  I recorded midday temperatures for nearly a year before I started to knit my scarf and found we had a range of 1C to 30C here in Caistor.  I bought thirty one colours, reasoning that if things got very hot I would use my final colour for any day at 31C or higher.

But 2022 beat all records and we had 40C on 19th July.  I wanted to mark that on my scarf.  What to do?  I didn't want to buy ten more colours, but to use just one for everything above 30C seemed inadequate.

So I compromised.  I took the extra colour I had bought and used it for 31C to 35C, bought an extra colour for 36C to 39C and used white for that one day at 40C.  


And yesterday I got my knitting right up to date.



8 comments:

  1. My weather scarf was April-April in the first year of lockdown. I had to buy an extra "hot" colour - but it was nothing like as hot as this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this year's top temp won't be repeated for a while!

      Delete
  2. I think your scarf is a good idea. I know people doing the 1000 Mile challenge who have knitted scarves in a similar way, showing the distances they have walked. Others have made granny square blankets. How long will it be when you've finished ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm just doing temperatures! Couldn't face a 1000 mile challenge!

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure I could have stuck with it through the heat. What is the end date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I catch up about once a month. the end date is 22nd October 2023.

      Delete
  4. Those are lovely! I have tried to knit but never got the hang of it. Those look so cozy though!

    ReplyDelete