Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 February 2022

Win: win

 When I thought about getting older I thought about loss of physical fitness, gains in "me" time, loss of (some of) my hair, gain of avoirdupois,  but I never thought about loss of "usefulness".

I've always been a busy sort of gal.  My jobs have always been in public service and I have done quite a bit of voluntary work.  I can remember wishing I had been more ready to say "No" when asked to help out!  

Then came retirement and, even more devastating, a walking stick, rollator and trundle truck (mobility scooter).  Suddenly I was in a new group, "The Disabled".  Suddenly I was viewed as always needing help and having no ability to offer help.  

But there are things I can do and this week one of those things came to me in the shape of a Scout shirt and a Brownie campfire blanket.  Like most mums Annie works full time and the thought of stitching all those badges was a little overwhelming so she thought of me.  She knows I sew and, indeed, I enjoy sewing so she brought the whole lot to me.  

A section of Brownie blanket
So it's win:win:win  Annie's children can wear their badges with pride, Annie can put her feet up and I feel useful and grateful to have been able to help.


The only problem is that the Scout leader sent a message asking if I would like to be badge sewer for the whole Group.

That would be being rather too useful, I feel.  

9 comments:

  1. That's a lovely task you've done there. You can adopt "Dorcas" as your middle name now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an array of badges! I'm sure they were glad of your sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great job, that was a lot of badges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent way to lighten your friend's load! Talented kids getting all those badges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it nice to be able to volunteer your talents. I hope you said no or at least sometimes in a pinch to the other request.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet of you to do this for your friend. It is wonderful to feel useful, though I have always thought of you as being extremely useful to anyone who needs you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I know who to send Beans to! I could use a little help with this task!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet to your friends. I always used a Patch Magic stuff- not the same as sewing. I think you'll always be useful for your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a wonderful way to get involved!!! Bravo to you- sewing badges on is a time consuming thing! I had enough trouble with sewing on buttons recently!x

    ReplyDelete