Search This Blog

Thursday 20 August 2020

Adjusting 6

 Up to now my "adjusting" posts have been about lifestyle changes as I have become more isolated but now I have to adjust to coming out of isolation and being closer to other people.  I say closer, but it still isn't close.

 Yesterday I went into a shop for the first time.  I had to go to Brigg to drop off books at the Oxfam book shop but didn't go into the shop.  However, I decided to go to Wilko's, a shop which I have missed far more than I would have expected.  It was quite well organised and I felt safe but a largely one way system was tricky on my mobility scooter.   I say largely because a couple of aisles were cul de sacs and therefore two way so I had to turn the trundle truck in a very tight space.  

I've visited a few friends when we have been able to sit in the garden.  I've avoided drinks because I want to avoid the inevitable consequences of drinks!  However, when I visited Jack (who has just had a cataract operation) I went into his house.  He's fine and his wife would be very proud of his housekeeping.  

Jack has been coming and sorting my garden for me and Annie-the-hone-enhancer has been a couple of times too.  Once her children are back at school I will stop her coming here as I think she could be a risk to me.  She understands my position completely and we have come to a suitable financial arrangement which keeps both of us happy.

Because that's the adjusting I have to do at the moment.  I have to prepare for a winter of isolation in case we have a second wave of this wretched virus.  I think it's really important that children can go back to school but that may have consequences for everyone else as well.  August is for me a time of relaxation but it's also a time of making sure I am ready for a long and difficult winter.  And for hoping that it's neither as long nor as difficult as I fear.

9 comments:

  1. I thought of you as I called in on my parents and visited the family. Like you we are now preparing for the hunkering down of Winter as visiting outside will be impossible. So glad that Jack is doing well. Take care Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it seems we are being called on to constantly readjust and at my age that isn’t so easy. I let Bean into our “pod” which has been great but she has gone back to in person dance and her mother is back at school so we are all wearing masks in the house now. It is ever changing

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too are not looking forward to the Winter, and will probably stay locked down for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a sensible approach. I want the children back, but know tha tincreases risk for those with higher risk factors, so best to be prepared to be less public once schools resume in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can seem never ending being at home all the time and it has taken me all this time to feel less anxious and actually happy. We have been out to our little town veg shop, there was no one else there. And we have sat outside Costa in the next town to us for a coffee, but that's all. We had cancelled our cleaner ages ago and that's why I am sitting down now as I have given our bathroom a thorough clean, even the shower hair trap which I hate doing.. but the shower glass panels are shining and everywhere gleams, but I am red faced and out of puff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such an uncertain time for everyone but even more so for those at higher risk. I haven't seen my son since Christmas, he lives in Essex (I'm in Yorkshire), so a bit of a way away, and his girlfriend who he lives with is in a high risk category so they're still being very cautious. They're both working from home and they're having their shopping delivered to avoid shops. It's in the news today that the virus is on the increase again. We just don't know how long this is going to go on for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The uncertainty is what is getting to me. Is there going to be another wave of the virus? Can our oldest son get home for Thanksgiving and Christmas (two holidays he always comes home for)? Will this winter be cold and stormy? The questions curl in and out of my brain with great regularity.

    I think you are right in being cautious.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you are going out a little bit, but mostly sheltering at home, kind of like what I am doing. The only people who spend time inside my house besides me are my sons and their visits are great fun. It will likely be great for the children to go out to actual school, but complicates visiting with them. Things I look forward to in future are visiting bookstores and libraries, and having church services indoors. I am not familiar with Wilkos, is that a book store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's hardware! I never thought I would miss browsing there! They sell bird seed and cleaning stuff as well as toiletries and household items.

      Delete