Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 June 2019

Guernsey Wine

It ages since I wrote about life's little pleasures but they are so important.  And this must be just about the simplest pleasure there can be.  It's water.

I'm not talking about fancy mineral water but rather the stuff which appears when I turn the tap.  Actually I'm not keen on drinking it when it is straight out of the tap.  Rather I keep several Kilner bottles in the fridge so that I can drink it when it's really cold.  

It matters to me that I serve it (just to myself) in something which makes it look special.  Each evening I fetch a bottle through to drink as I watch TV or do my sewing or knitting.  With my "artisan" styled bottles and a nice glass I feel as though I am pampering myself.  The recent weather in Lincolnshire gives me great confidence that my pampering won't be coming to an end any day soon.

When I was a little girl my parents took me on holiday to Guernsey.  Each night they had wine but the waiter served me water in a very stylish carafe and told me it was Guernsey Wine.    I can't remember his name but his impact on my life, in just this small way, has been so important.  


6 comments:

  1. That is so sweet the waiter served you water and called it Guernsey Wine, you must have felt quite grown up. I keep water in the refrigerator too but I like the way you serve it to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty picky about my beverage service and coffee cup as well. At my youngest son's wedding reception, I drank diet ginger ale but had to have it in the same elegant stemware as those who were drinking wine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We drink tap water, like you we drink it cold out of the fridge. But, in our case it is out of a plastic jug. I love the idea of a glass kilner bottle making it special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drink mostly only water. I think I am going to try your wa

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that story of the waiter giving you the water in a carafe! It might have seemed a simple thing to him but it meant the world to a little girl. I have certain plates and bowls to serve food, they are not expensive it is just they are the perfect colors to go with the food being served. If only I could cook as well as I color coordinate!

    ReplyDelete