Search This Blog

Sunday 3 March 2019

Thank you,Vicar - and thank you from a vicar.

I'm retired.  But I'm not.  I still "keep my hand in".  Pretty well every Sunday. 

Vicars are quite hard to get - by which I mean a stipendiary vicar, living in the parish or group.  When a vicar leaves the parish it can take a very long time to find a new one so retired clergy like me are needed to fill in.  I now try to have a Sunday off each month so I can go to my own parish church but last month things were a bit desperate so I led worship every Sunday.   I've baptised three babies.  I've taken a couple of funerals and I've got two more in the next few days.  The rural dean has asked me to call on Thursday so I can be booked to take several weddings this year.  Each service takes quite a lot of preparation so really I've almost got a part time job.


Today I have been to All Hallows, North Kelsey.   It's a dear little village church, typical of so many in Lincolnshire.  It's not just the local limestone building which is typical, it's the band of faithful people who clean it, maintain the building and the churchyard, sort the finances and the flowers and do the thousand-and-one small, thankless tasks which are needed to keep the building open.  Add to that their faithful prayer and you can see that here in North Kelsey God is loved and honoured.


One thing really struck me today though: the number of people who said, "Thank you so much for coming".  All I can say  to them (and all the little village churches I go to Sunday by Sunday), "Thank you for your faithfulness and your generosity".


16 comments:

  1. Beautiful church and a lovely vicar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly a lovely church in a group of lovely churches.

      Delete
  2. You are busy. Are there fewer people answering the call to be pastors? What is contributing to the shortage?

    What a lovely church. I worship in an interfaith center. There are 5 distinct congregations that share the center. 2 Jewish congregations, a Baptist, a Catholic and my church which is affiliated with three protestant denominations. We all share the worship spaces. The room where we have service has a Catholic Mass on Saturday evenings and Sabbath services on Friday evenings. It all works quite well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are fewer stipendiary (full time) clergy but we have a lot more non-stipendiary clergy in training.

      Your interfaith center sounds lovely!

      Delete
  3. These old village churches are so beautiful! One of our pastors is retiring and I don't think it will be long before the other does-I think thy planned staging so not to lose both together. It will be a change since both have been there my whole youngest's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the great privileges of ministry to see youngsters growing up and to know that one has been part of their growth.

      Delete
  4. What I've found about all the church visiting I've been doing for the blog is that however small the village the church is always well loved and cared for. Perhaps even more so with congregations are falling, no one wants their church to fall down even if they don't go to services often.
    You certainly sound busy in your "retirement!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. We still don't have a Minister here and rely on the Elders and other Ministers to fill the gaps. Such a shame as it is a vibrant and growing congregation. Sounds like you are busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think congregations can become more vibrant when there is no regular vicar. Everybody knows they have to chip in and that's great. Sometimes though it can go the other way and everyone gives up but I've been lucky enough to work with good congregations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely church.

    There is something to be said for being needed. When I first retired it seemed as if I was getting calls almost every day to sub in the schools. Now...not so much. I was so grateful for the calls and the kids were very happy to see me as well.

    Enjoy your busy retirement.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's made early retirement much better - I had to retire early and felt "on the scrapheap". By the time I am no longer needed I will no longer want to be needed.

      Delete
  8. You have the best of both worlds and get to lead services and sacraments at beautiful churches without the day to day worries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am pleased to "meet" you here. How interesting that your retirement is keeping you busy filling in at area churches. The church in the photo is a beauty and nice the congregation is so faithful. I am a member of an active church here in California.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Terra. I don't think I've seen you on my blog before but I've just nipped over to yours and see that we have something in common - I too was a librarian many moons ago!

    ReplyDelete