Search This Blog

Thursday 21 January 2016

I've just realised!

Today reminds me of a very special pleasure - the pleasure of leisure.  Six years ago, on 21st January 2010, I (officially) retired.  I actually hadn't worked regularly for a year before that as I was ill.

I am not one of those people who wonder how they ever found time to work but I do wonder how I found the energy!  I have a busy life still.  I now cook almost everything from scratch, I knit, sew, crochet, and make cards.  I still take Sunday services and I do some pastoral care.  But everything I do is now unhurried, considered and done with joy.

I had been in paid employment since I was eighteen when I left school and became a library assistant.  Even when I was at college I did some work as a baby sitter, theatre usherette, dish washer and library assistant.  After college I went to Nigeria as a librarian on Voluntary Service Overseas and then had a brief time when I didn't work as I had a couple of months in hospital.  After that I had no gaps.

And now I have a time of leisure, still busy but with time to enjoy the snowdrops in my garden.  Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have had a lovely life! And that energy bit -- I understand completely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good life, I actually do wonder how I ever had time to go to work. The snowdrops are indeed looking beautiful.

    ReplyDelete