Search This Blog

Monday 21 March 2022

Food and Kindness

The "Horticultural Enhancer" hat Jack got for Christmas.

 Hello to all of you!  I hope you are all keeping well.  Today I'm writing about some of the things which keep me, a fairly active seventy-nine year old male, in good nick.  
Jack wrapping himself around a
bacon buttie for breakfast

So first, some people (i.e. my friend, the vicar who copies and edits whatever I write) don't always approve of what I eat.  For example, what's wrong with having a salad with coleslaw and Rice Crispies on top to embellish it and make it look nice?  Or porridge, which I have every other morning?  "Nothing wrong with that", I can hear you saying,   "Porridge is very good for you".  But (wait for it) I like it with barbecue sauce on top to enhance the flavour.  

The last time I went to the vicar's we had homemade leek and potato soup and bread buns but no butter as I had forgotten get any from the supermarket on the way.  I got a stern reprimand from the vicar.  Anyway, the vicar asked if I would like yoghurt on the soup.  I was aghast because her soup is the best I have ever tasted so why spoil it by putting yoghurt in it?  I don't mind metal hooks which I get from time to time with it but I think she must have shares in a dental practice and she gets 20% commission every time she recommends them.  

It's not very often I have to cook for myself.  I'm one of the luckiest people around.  My neighbours and lots of other folk are so kind to me, feeding me and giving me stuff.  The vicar says I'm scrounging.  No I'm not!!!  I might comment that something looks or smells good if someone is cooking or baking.  I get pies and meals given to me so I don't often have to cook more than once a week.  God loves a tryer and I'm certainly that.  

I pay people back in many more ways, the most important being that I spend time with a lot of lonely people and after a couple of hours I've lifted their spirits and cheered them up.  I hope even the vicar will agree with me on that.

Please look after each other and be kind to your fellow humans

Jack

4 comments:

  1. I'd gladly feed you in exchange for your wonderful gardening. To each our own with our taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If she wasn't a vicar, I might say "She's certainly got her hooks into you!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the hat Jack. So glad that you have each other for company. I would gladly feed you for your company, nothing beats a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww., Jack! Love hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete