Search This Blog

Sunday 15 August 2021

Pews and stalls

 As you know I am retired.  Although I have been in demand for taking services in the eleven years since I retired I am gradually taking a back seat or rather a seat in the pews rather than the stalls.

Today I went to St Mary's Church at Claxby, high on the Lincolnshire Wolds.  It's a church where I have celebrated the Eucharist many times but today I was in the congregation while Revd Elaine took the service.  It's quite an odd feeling: it was good to sit and enjoy the worship without worrying if everyone is OK but I was well aware that Revd Elaine would be dashing off to another church to lead worship and normally I could have relieved her of one service.

But she was helped by Kathy a Reader in training.  In the Church of England we call our lay preachers Readers.  Kathy is getting towards the end of her Reader training and today she preached the sermon.  A long time ago she asked me to be one of her special supporters so I pray for her, and, from time to time I check on her.   Today I was helping her by listening carefully to her sermon so I can give her some feedback.

In eight weeks Kathy will be admitted to the Order of Readers.  As a sign of her office she will wear a blue scarf over her cassock and surplice.  She'll be great!

5 comments:

  1. That is an interesting peek into the world of readers, which sounds like a much needed program. It allowed you to take a seat in the pews instead of helping out by leading a service. Fun note, in our church we don't have pews, we have folding chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I was last in Claxby in 2015, I wrote about it on my blog. Is the Old Rectory next to the church still derelict? Such a lovely building, a shame that it was abandoned. It needed someone to restore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it has been restored yet. Claxby is a lovely village.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I might visit again.

      Delete
  3. I can just imagine how different it was to sit and listen, but how wonderful that you are Kathy's mentor and so willing to give her guidance.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete