Search This Blog

Sunday 6 December 2020

Reading the story again 2

 I'd always wanted a nativity set.  It couldn't be one of those where the characters are fixed in their places:  it had to be one where I could arrange the figures myself,  And the older I got, the fussier I was about what I wanted.

But several years ago I was in some sort of Christmas shop and I saw a set which had been pushed to one side.  They weren't particularly pretty figures, just black resin, but they had character and I felt sorry for them because they'd been put in a rubbishy place.   The price was about £25 and I didn't feel sorry enough to pay that!  

The shop owner saw me looking and she said, "If you want those you can have them for a fiver.  The donkey and one of the kings have disappeared so no-one wants them."  So I handed over £5 and she packed them.   "Just don't let the vicar see them if he comes for tea" she quipped.   

So I 'fessed up.  "I am a vicar".  You could have knocked her down with a feather. 

I went on to explain that there's no mention of a donkey in the Bible story and although there are three gifts from the Magi, nowhere does it say there were three of them.  So, as far as I am concerned, the set is true to Bible.  I wonder if she went home and looked again at the story?  Knowing the gospels had saved me £20!

This post isn't about saving money though: it's about reading the story.  Over the years there have been traditions attached to it as surely as decorations go on the tree.  Even a "religious" Christmas has its trimmings!  

I'm going to miss quite a few of those trimmings.  I shall miss the lights going out in church and the children singing "Away in a manger" by candle light.  I shall miss hearing Isaiah's great prophecies read in the strong, heavily-accented voice of a Lincolnshire farmer.  I shall miss eating mince pies and drinking mulled wine after a carol service.

All those things are good and normally I just take them for granted as part of Christmas just as surely as the shop owner took a donkey as part of the Christmas story.  This year my Christmas will be stripped of many of its religious customs just as surely as it will be stripped of many other things,  But nothing can strip away that one central truth, "The Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father’s only son, full of grace and truth."


I'm joining in "Advent at Home" hosted by Ang at Tracing Rainbows

9 comments:

  1. Great Post... It's interesting that people are so sure there were three Kings, and a donkey, and an innkeeper! I too will miss the usual opportunities to worship... But nothing can take away the truth of Immanuel God with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, Vicar, you got me looking up in the bible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will miss "Silent Night" - sung as each of our candles are lit and the lights are dimmed in the church. But a service that includes upwards of 600 people will not be happening this year. Still, there will be a Christmas Eve online service (much of the music has already been recorded) and I will enjoy it almost as much.
    I will now go and reread my bible! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will miss the bells ringing as we leave Mass, the incense, and the candles....

    You do know I had to run and look at my nativities...I do have some where the figures are fixed, and one that was carved out of wood from a small country in Africa (oldest gave it to me for a gift). Not one of them have a donkey. Sheep, and cows and three wise men, but no donkey.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are fortunate here in New Zealand that our restrictions are not arduous and we can gather together for Christmas services. I am so very grateful for that blessing at the end of what has been a torrid year. I pray God's blessings on a new year that will be far better than the one we are now currently ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful scripture and I enjoyed the story of you, the vicar, being told not to let the vicar see the nativity set. Our church aims to have two evening outdoor services, from 4 to 5 pm and I hope they happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is SUCH a lovely post. I read something yesterday about the "sparseness" of Christmas this year revealing the spiritual truth at its centre and it resonated with me, as this post has done. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a lovely post and I'm glad you got your nativity set. I'm always careful to mention in my Christmas carol service at school, that there were SOME visitors from the East, not 3. I like Christmas without all the fuss.

    ReplyDelete