Search This Blog

Sunday 12 April 2020

From Jack


Hi Everyone!

You’ve probably guessed why I haven’t blogged for nearly two years.  I lost my wife not so long ago.  We had 53 years together all told and looking after her was my main priority.  I made sure my wife got everything she wanted, nothing was too much trouble.  When I stood in front of The Boss nearly 52 years ago and said those 18 vows  (4 richer, 4 poorer, 4 better, 4 worse, in sickness and in health ‘til death do us part) I meant every word and I hope I fulfilled every one of those vows. 

The good thing about Mary is she would visit us on a regular basis.  My wife loved her visits and so did I.  It gave me a chance to pull her leg which I did with great gusto.  I’ve had two Christmases without coming on this blog but The Vicar came each year with a bag full of goodies for me.  I hope The Boss sees all the good things she does for others as well as me.    Thank you, Vicar, for all you did for Mrs Jack.

Since my wife passed away The Vicar would text each morning to make sure I was OK.  I just couldn’t phone her.  I just knew it would end in tears.  What a beautiful tribute she wrote for Mrs Jack on her blog.  One day she might say something nice about me (I’m only joking, Vicar, you know what I think of you).  I wrote her a poem but she kept that for herself.

 In February she took my brother’s funeral.  It was a brand new crematorium – he was the first man cremated there.  It was all new to our Mary.  It was a state of the art place with lots of electronic gadgets on the minister’s desk.   She did very well with just the odd mistake. Well done, Vicar. 

Unfortunately she can’t take Mrs Jack’s funeral because of this Covid 19.  We’re going to video stream it – I’m not sure what they call it as I’m not technically minded but people can watch it on their computers.  At the moment we can have only ten people.  We will have a memorial later and Vicar Mary can officiate at that. 

The other day she texted me to ask if I was cooking and looking after myself.  Well, let me tell you, Vicar, I learnt most of my cooking skills from you.  I can now burn sausages and serve frozen veg straight from the freezer.  Oh yes. My speciality is soup with hooks.  I am getting better: the first time I made custard you had to eat it with a knife and fork.  I have improved.   I’ve cooked beef dinners and now I can make Yorkshire puds.  The other day she asked me what I was cooking so I’ve sent this post so she has to type it onto her blog and she won’t be able to miss it. 

I got my biggest pan and put a pack of lean mince in it.  I fried an onion and added a stock cube, some water and some gravy granules.  I let it boil and added four spuds (chopped up), carrots, swede, peas, broad beans, celery peppers leeks, cauliflower, broccoli and the secret of my recipe is, if you’ve got it CHUCK IT IN!  Oh, I forgot that I chucked in a chopped apple as well and also a good handful of thyme.  I simmered it gently for half an hour then added a drop of Mr Jameson.  Yum yum.  It lasted me two meals.  Please don’t give Gordon Ramsey my recipe – he wouldn’t know how to do it.  When I ate it I couldn’t get it down fast enough!  I forgot to say I made some dumplings too but they were a little stodgy but I’ll get that right with practice.  So I hope I’ve answered your question, Vicar. 

The lady next door is 87 years old and I offered some to her but before she ate any I told her to check her insurance policy to see if it covered poisoning. 

Finally I want to thank each of you who sent me condolences.  Remembering if you’re self-isolating, whatever part of the world you live, and if it’s exercise you want go around the garden and may the Lord walk with you.  Please take care, look after one another and stay as safe as you can.

Love to all

Jack

PS Thanks Vicar, for all you’ve done for us.  I look forward to that HUG.  J.

Footnote.  Jack has been in touch and has asked me to say thank-you for all your kind comments.  He can read them but not reply.  So thank you.

10 comments:

  1. Jack - what a wonderful post. You sound like such an honourable man - you have done your wife proud. It is such a sad time in the world but, like many of your generation - you soldier on and are a wonderful example to the rest of us who are tempted to moan.
    Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack-My thoughts are with you. I love your humor, still in the midst of sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you and comfort you, Jack. You're in my thoughts and prayers x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you, Jack, and hoping you have many friends who can help you through this sad time. Lovely to hear from you and know that you have retained your cheekiness. It all helps. Stay safe and well, dear man. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jack, may the Lord bless and comfort you. I have thought of your often and smiled at the joy that you bring to Mary. Your meal sounds delicious, take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary - you've been such good friend to Jack through the years.
    BTW - no letter yet from your address. Hopefully today. I have sent a second one already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, Marcia - I've sent you an e mail.

      Delete
  7. Jack, you have my sincere condolences. Mary is a very good friend, and I think you are a good friend as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear from you Jack at this difficult time. It is good to see you are caring for yourself as well — might have to try your recipe! Stay in and stay well, the days will get better with time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending so many warm thoughts from my own self isolating spot in Michigan

    ReplyDelete