Search This Blog

Monday 2 December 2019

Advent


As far as the makers of "advent" calendars are concerned Advent always starts on 1st December.  As far as this 'ere (retired) vicar is concerned Advent starts on the fourth Sunday before Christmas.  2019 is one of the rare years when everyone is in agreement!  Yesterday was the first day of Advent.  


So as usual my Advent stable was set up.  I've had it for many years now, since well before I retired (and that was ten years ago) but each year it brings me joy.  There are twelve cupboards on the other side of the stable so each day I find a new figure to add to the scene.


For the past few years Caistor has had a "Living Advent Calendar" but I've never been to see it.  Twenty four households volunteer to have a light display in their window, each on a different day of Advent.  Last night I went to the first one which was at the home of Pete-my-gardener-and-handyman.  He and his family had provided mulled wine, hot chocolate and mince pies and we had a noisy countdown to the switch-on.  There was then a bit of community singing of a Christmas song and people chatted.  I met several people I'd never met before.  It was a free event, not even a charity collection, and it was a real community "do".

I think it could be part of my Advent on several evenings this year.

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea, such a community spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How brilliant that will be fun to see

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice idea. Like you, Advent for me begins on the Sunday.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your Advent stable/nativity scene, I had not seen one before. I do have two nativity sets. That is a nice neighborhood tradition with 24 households taking part.

    ReplyDelete