Search This Blog

Sunday 11 August 2019

Old vicars never die they merely pray away

"Greet one another with a holy kiss" was Paul's instruction to the church at Corinth and he would have been pleased with the church at Croxton today.  I used to take services at Croxton regularly until they got their own vicar a couple of years ago, but today their vicar was away on holiday so I went back. It was wonderful!  I got hugs and kisses and there was a noisy catch-up on events since I was last there.

Ministry in retirement is great fun but it can be very sad because I am inevitably just a stop gap.  I grow very fond of the people (and I think they become fond of me) but what they really want is someone who is very specially "theirs".  At that point I move on and I avoid going back so that the new person can form a special relationship with his/her new congregation without anyone glancing back over their shoulder.  They are in my prayers but not my diary.  



But today I was back at the invitation of the new vicar.  They knew I was coming so they even baked me a cake!  nd I am eating it as I write this post.

Thank you, Croxton!




3 comments:

  1. What a pretty church, and how nice to be welcomed back so kindly. I'm sure they miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure is nice to have a warm welcome back. You got to visit with some old friends and they got to visit with you.

    The cake looks yummy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo for cakes, hugs and kisses and being apreciated!

    ReplyDelete