Search This Blog

Friday 24 August 2018

Three cheers for North Yorkshire Moors Railway

I've had a few days away in Yorkshire, supporting my nephew who has been doing the Coast to Coast Walk and while I was there I enjoyed the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.


Hagrid at Hogsmeade Station

I love travelling by train!   For me it's the best way to see the scenery of this lovely country in which I live.  Trains have one big disadvantage though - I'm not allowed to take the trundle truck (mobility scooter) which means I can't do much "at the other end".  So I booked my ticket for NYMR railway and resigned myself to the fact that the railway station would be the only part of Pickering which I would see.


Goathland Station
But NYMR is one up on Network Rail.  As soon as I appeared on Grosmont station a wonderful volunteer asked me if I would be travelling and said I could put the trundle truck in the guard's van!  How wonderful is that!!!  They brought a ramp and up I trundled with the help of a shove from the guard.  That meant that I could explore Pickering and anywhere else I wanted to see along that line.  


It really is a lovely line with the added interest that it was used for The Hogwarts Express in the Harry Potter films.  Goathland Station featured as Hogsmeade Station.  
Steam train at Grosmont

There are both steam and diesel hauled trains on this heritage line and they have the most wonderful bunch of volunteers.  Thank you NYMR,

14 comments:

  1. Hooray for the kind volunteer. I dont think that the Disability Act would support your not being allowed to take the truck, you should be treated like anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right but Network Rail is rather a large opponent.

      Delete
  2. It is nice to travel by train. Will you be sharing more of the sights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. Haven't decided yet but will think hard about it.

      Delete
  3. I love trains too. We booked a coach break a couple of years ago that included the NYM railway and it was all arranged that my husband could take his mobility scooter on the train. Sadly we had to cancel the holiday as husband was too poorly but how lovely you were able to take your scooter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you can go one day. I'd been on it before and it is one of my favourite heritage lines.

      Delete
  4. Sounds wonderful, I love the old steam trains. I am so glad that you were able to take the trundle truck with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love trains as well! My grandfather was a railroad man so trains were a bit part of our existence. We went to California on the train once and it was the best fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to have a personal connection! Do you have "heritage lines" in USA?

      Delete
  6. Excellent that you were able to take the trundle truck on the train. One wonders why this can't be managed by using the goods wagon on Network Rail trains. I hope there'll be a change in the rules soon so that you can always have transport. Years ago, I enjoyed a trip on the Haworth steam railway . . . but my eldest son, who hepled me off the train with his baby brother in his carry cot, dropped his handle and poor Peter was tipped out on to the platform. Aaaarrgghhh! Luckily, no injuries, just a screaming babay for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see you here in Blogland, Rambler! I think the problem is that trains don't have a goods van/ guard's van these days. I get rather peeved because bikes are allowed and I'm not! But the NYMR trip was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It just shows what they can do when there is the will to do it. Good to know that you were able to gain your freedom and enjoy your visit properly. It is funny to think that I used to travel to Stamford High School every day by steam train, which just serves as a reminder about how old I am!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely to be able to travel on the Hogwart's Express! I'm so pleased the guard was kind and found a home for the Trundle Truck. My grandfather drove steam engines and his sons still love a train journey but the fascination hasn't trickled down to my generation. I'd rather walk!

    ReplyDelete