Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 February 2017

A special day out

Remember I said that February was for fun?  Well, I meant it and yesterday was a fun day out.

I went to Edinburgh and back in one day!    I've just checked and that would be 550 miles by road but I went by rail.  I've had the trip organised for a few weeks and have been looking forward to it SO MUCH. 

For various complicated reasons I found myself with quite a bit of money in my Red Spotted Hanky account and I decided to fulfill a vague but long-held ambition to go on the East Coast Main Line north from Newark to Edinburgh.  

The journey was marvellous.  I was able to travel First Class and I can thoroughly recommend it.  Soon after I boarded complementary breakfast was served.  I had a British Rail breakfast when I was travelling to Gatwick to fly to Nigeria when I was twenty one and remembered it as really good and I can say that my memory was exactly right.  Thick cut bacon, tasty sausage, perfectly fried egg, and all the rest, served on a good hot plate with lovely toast as well as lovely orange juice and coffee.  

The early part of the journey was through fairly flat country because of course, the Victorian engineers who built the line would have taken it across the levellest route possible but further north they had no choice but to build cuttings and embankments, tunnels, viaducts and bridges.  

I'll write some more tomorrow but for now, here's someone I met on my journey.

7 comments:

  1. That was quite a journey! I always loved travelling by train, and first class makes it so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't kidding! That sounds like a wonderfully fun way to enrich February.
    I like the photo! That little fellow you met on your journey looks too adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's an assistance dog, I think for a blind person but he wasn't working. His behviour was immaculate and everyone going past petted him so I think he enjoyed his journey,

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to hear more! Everybody talks about flying everywhere and I think staying on the ground is lovely -- train trips are a wonderful way to see the scenery along the way. When I was 12 we went to California on a train and I loved it. There was all sorts of adventure along the way and so much to see that I wouldn't have seen several thousand miles above. It sounds like you had a marvelous time and I like your new acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a wonderful experience. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was born in Edinburgh so I will look forward to hearing about your outing!
    I love train travel - I even have a membership that allows me to collect points - I had enough at Thanksgiving back in October to enjoy a trip to see friends and family in Kingston (about a 2hr trip) - all on my points.
    Last year I travelled by bus to Sault St. Marie up on Lake Superior - an all day drive - and the next morning we all boarded a rather old train for the 4 hr. trip to the Agawa Canyon - people take this trip ever Fall to see the colours. You travel along lakes and through canyons with just millions of trees - all with spectacular foliage. You spend a couple of hours exploring along the river in the canyon and then board the train for the 4hr trip back. The time just flew because the scenery was so wonderful - flying just doesn't allow for the same appreciation of the journey itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid the only bit of Edinburgh I saw was Waverley station. The day out was about travelling rather than arriving. Sadly I am not allowed to take my trundle truck on the train so I'm a bit limited.
      Your rail trip sounds wonderful. I came to North America in autumn 2009 and was stunned by the colours of the trees. I was on a cruise and came ashore every day. It may be that one day I will come again and maybe take a train trip.

      Delete