Search This Blog

01 October 2026

Proud to be a Yellow Belly

 It’s Lincolnshire Day.   A day to celebrate Lincolnshire — a county famous for big skies, big fields, big sausages and people who are rather fond of calling themselves Yellowbellies.

I have checked my tummy.  It isn't yellow.  And no-one actually knows why we are called Yellow Bellies but we’re proud of it anyway. 

But Lincolnshire has never been short of peculiarities. We have our own accent, our own sense of humour and roads that seem to have been designed by someone who thought straight lines were terribly overrated.

We have the Wolds, the Fens, the coast, enormous agricultural fields and small villages

And then there is Lincoln with a magnificent cathedral sitting above the city as if it has been keeping an eye on us all for centuries.

Lincolnshire was made for me.  And I was made for Lincolnshire. 

I love its big skies, its little villages, its spuds, its sausages, its cathedral and my fellow Yellow Bellies. 

Happy Lincolnshire Day.

There are worse places to grow older, potter about, enjoy wonderful local food and talk with a very weird accent. 

8 comments:

  1. Happy Lincolnshire Day. I hope that regional dialects never die out. From a wurzel in the county of cider and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to have bangers and mash when I go out later so it will be a happy day.

      Delete
  2. I too am a proud yellow belly although moved over to the other side of the country 36 years ago. Regular visits home until Mum passed away. It is indeed a beautiful county with a wonderful city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I moved away but then I came back. Happy Lincolnshire Day.

      Delete
  3. Would love to find out the meaning behind the name. Happy Lincolnshire Day.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most Yellerbellies have a theory but no-one really knows.

      Delete
  4. Hope you had a lovely Lincolnshire Day! :)

    ReplyDelete