Search This Blog

Friday 30 December 2022

K is for Knitting

 I don't think of myself as a knitter.  I don't do fancy stitches or work with a multitude of colours.  I just cast on around ninety stitches on a circular needle and start to knit.

I like the rhythm of knitting.  I'm not a great TV watcher but I like my audiobooks so I knit to a background of silence or a great story.  The knitting occupies my fingers and my mind can wander where it wills.  



And what I knit with those ninety stitches is scarves.  I have two in progress most of the time.  The first uses any wools that I am given and a few that I have bought.  I knit two inch stripes until the scarf is almost six feet long then I cast off and add a fringe. Those scarves go to a local charity helping homeless people.  

The other scarf is destined for my own neck.  I record the highest temperature reached in Caistor (where I live) every day.  I have a different colour for each degree Celsius and I started with one row a day on my seventieth birthday and will end on my seventy second birthday. 

 

4 comments:

  1. It's a brilliant way to use up all the bits of yarn and very colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any knitting is better, more than I can do. I've. Even gifted a few scrap made scarves and really appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE my weather scarf. I used the leftovers to make some simple striped fingerless gloves. I get so many comments about the scarf (I joined the ends to make a loop)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. A practical use for a temperature record:). Margaret

    ReplyDelete