Search This Blog

Saturday 29 May 2021

Why do you wear that thing?


 That’s a question children used to ask a lot when I was in the regular vicars.  I don’t wear it so much these days, but before I retired I wore it every working day.

It meant I never needed to introduce myself.  People recognised it as a badge no matter what faith they were or even if they had no faith at all.  Not all clergy wear them and what I write here is my own practice as not even all Anglican vicars have the same views as mine. There are no regulations saying we must wear it: the rules just say we must wear clothing suitable to our office: (Plenty of scope there, then!)  Many clergy never wear a collar and many are careful not to wear it in places where they may at risk.  

Actually the collars I wear have to be worn with a special shirt, a shirt with a tunnel collar so that the collar can be slipped in.   There are other styles of collar and each demands a particular type of shirt The collar isn’t  the most comfortable thing to wear as it’s plastic and condensation collects under it in hot weather.  However, as it is plastic I can stick it in the dishwasher occasionally!



Mention of the dishwasher reminds me that it is far from unknown for clergy to make collars out of washing up liquid bottles, with or without “Fairy” printed on. 

2 comments:

  1. My father was a minister and there was a time that he would wear the collar too. More likely though when in the pulpit he had a black gown on. That was a hold over from when he taught at a university in the Philippines and had to have that for graduations and other solemn occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work in my Church's office and both our ministers dress fairly casually most days but wear their collars for all services and formal meetings. One day I showed up all dressed in black and the senior minister brought me a collar to wear as a bit of a joke since I looked the part! :-) I've never worn that outfit again.

    ReplyDelete