Search This Blog

Monday 1 February 2016

Moocs

Sometimes I surprise myself.  Not often, but sometimes.

I've never seen myself as being interested in science but since I retired I've started to look anew at things which I never had time for (or interest in) in my younger life.

Today I started a new MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) this time from the University of Leeds.  It's called Know Your Abdomen.  

I don't know about you but my abdomen is one of those areas I've always preferred to forget about.  Every so often I have to think about it, generally when something goes wrong.  I have hazy memories of O level Biology lessons at school but hazy is actually quite a generous description of my memory.  Anyway, I decided that it might be interesting to get to know a little more so today I started my latest MOOC.  This particular course was written for school students but "slightly more mature people" like me are also welcome.

And I was delighted that the course began with an illustration from someone even older than me  - Leonardo da Vinci.

But really my delight for today is realising that I can surprise myself and that I still take pleasure in learning

5 comments:

  1. Never too old to learn, Mary! I prefer to forget my abdomen as well, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds worthwhile, Mary! I might try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, what a spirit of adventure you have with courses! I don't like to think about my abdomen.

    When they put another kidney in an already limited space I changed shape alarmingly. Each time I turn over in bed I almost hear the sighs of relief of 'the bits' that manage to fall into a new position. Even my stomach now rumbles in unexpected places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't begin to imagine how that must feel. Advancing years and excessive greed cause my abdomen to sigh even without the extra complications!

      Delete