Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 September 2017

Season of , , , ?

September (and maybe even more October) is a great time for musing and remembering.  The nights are drawing in and although I no longer have a real fire I do sometimes light candles and the gentle light is more conducive for looking into the past than trying to organise the present.

September was back to school.  I loved school - well until I was about seventeen then I wasn't so keen.  Primary school was wonderful, lessons were exciting, learning came naturally.

Apart from lessons though there was playtime and at this time of the year conkers were the game of choice.  I've been told that conkers aren't looked on with quite the same favour now as they were in my childhood but the fifties were a great time to be a kid.  I was never much good at playing conkers but I loved collecting them.  Those wonderful shiny "nuts" ready to be prised out of their spiny coating.  They were just the right size for keeping in your pocket or clutching in your hand.  Mention that something is chestnut coloured and it's conkers (horse chestnuts) rather than sweet chestnuts which come into my mind.

Everybody had their own theories about the best way to harden a conker.  Some soaked them in vinegar, others burnished them with shoe polish.  We had a Rayburn in the kitchen and Mother would put my offerings in the slow bottom oven.

I've really enjoyed writing this post.  I shall have a smile on my face all day!

5 comments:

  1. Your memories made me smile. I enjoyed playing conkers too! Didn't enjoy the bruised knuckles that I always seemed to end up with though! I collected some with my son a few days ago. We put them in drawers and cupboards as they supposedly keep away moths. Tracy X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh ... lovely memories. Like you I enjoyed collecting 'conkers' more than playing with them. And it was always a race to beat the squirrels to them! Interesting how nature and the seasons dictated some of the simple games we played in childhood. Cheers, Nanny Anny in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful memories, which are so similar to my own. My own children enjoyed collecting and playing conkers and now our Grandchildren enjoy the game. I am smiling too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they do bring back memories. Conker time was eagerly awaited - but in my neck of the woods in the early 1950’s it was very much a boy’s pastime which we girls observed. We always collected them - but gave them to the boys.

    Unfortunately here, like most places I suppose, the trees are all now affected by disease or the actions of the leaf mining moth. Its heart breaking to see.

    ReplyDelete