Search This Blog

Saturday 7 March 2015

Kindness

As I have said on this blog before I am a bit short on close family as I have just one nephew and he lives in Belgium.  He and his wife are great but there is the North Sea between us.   There is no-one from whom I have any right to expect anything but being “mobility challenged” I have need of a lot.


And I receive so much kindness.  I have dear cousins, all who lead busy lives, and yet they come as soon as I call.  They’ve shovelled snow, fetched parcels from the post office, erected my Christmas tree and got me off the ground when I have fallen over.

I have wonderful friends who take me to places I couldn’t otherwise go to, change lightbulbs (I’m not safe on ladders), get stuff down from the loft, and are ready to do so much more if I will let them but I like to do as much as possible for myself.

The wonderful Jack (my gardener and friend) cleans both my car and the windows, has taken me for hospital appointments, fetched garden supplies and made my life easier.

And this week I have received extra kindness while I was away.  I went to a Days Inn (a budget hotel chain for those who don’t know) but the staff couldn’t have been more helpful.  I even managed to set off the disability alarm in my room by mistake but they were great.  Bags were carried, doors open, assistance given with my mobility scooter.  A letter to the manager is on its way!


Tennessee Williams in “A Streetcar Named Desire” gives Blanche the line, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers".  I depend on the kindness of all around me and almost always find it.  How about you?

2 comments:

  1. So glad you find kind people. We do too, when I am taking my husband out in the wheelchair, people are so good about opening doors etc. There are kind folk around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so wonderful to hear I also find people are helpful when it is needed. I am a great believer in treating people how I would want to be treated, it seems to work.

    ReplyDelete