Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 October 2014

Last blooms of summer

Yesterday Jack came and put my garden to bed for the winter.  He drained my little fountain.  He emptied the pots.  And he pulled up the remaining summer bedding plants after picking this final bunch of sweet peas and cosmos.  


I was sorry to see them go for this has been my best summer garden ever.  The vegetable bed gave me tasty meals.  The flowers brought joy to my life.  The fountain with its tinkling accompanied many afternoons of sitting and knitting or sitting and thinking or maybe just sitting.

And summer itself has faded.  Last weekend the clocks went back.  I’ve had to put the central heating on for a couple of hours each day.  I’m glad to draw the curtains and settle down with my knitting now.


I don’t have a favourite season.  They are all special.  And each is to be anticipated and savoured.  Life is good.

4 comments:

  1. what lovely blossoms! I am afraid out garden is spent -- the heat of the summer usually does it in way before it is time! However, our days are cooling down just a bit and the leaves are slowly beginning to change so I have that to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been lighting the stove for a few hours daily I am trying to avoid putting the central heating on yet. I am going to harvest the last of the beetroot and leek tomorrow and that is the end of the vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you your stove as I have only central heating now. But I've got winter leeks still growing happily and Jack and I had the first two for lunch yesterday.

      Delete
  3. Our clocks go back tomorrow. Isn't that silly, if we're (mostly all) going to do it then why not all together?

    I do think I love autumn the most but I'm a big fan of all the seasons.

    ReplyDelete