Search This Blog

Monday 27 October 2014

The Letter

Elizabeth at http://frenchvillagelife.blogspot.co.uk/ recently organised a letter swap and I had my name down for it like a shot! 

E mail is great for quick no fuss communication, but for sheer joy you can’t beat good old-fashioned snail mail.  I’ve been anticipating receiving my first letter since I wrote to my partner a couple of weeks ago and I think our letters crossed in the post.  Today it arrived!  The postman rang at the door as he also had to deliver a parcel and he was greatly amused when I cheered when I saw the letter.  It has come all the way from Texas, from a lady who I’ve never met and she was telling me all about her life and her connections with the UK.

But I’m racing ahead of myself.  Such an important thing as a handwritten letter demands a cuppa and a slice of cake to accompany it.  There’s the stamp to examine, the handwriting to admire, (although I doubt if my partner will be admiring my handwriting) and the joy of perusing something which has been written especially for me.  No e mail can deliver that!

And there’s the joy of writing the letter as well.  I have a leather writing case with my father’s initials on it.  I love to buy good quality writing paper and letters demand the use of my fountain pen.  Sad to say my handwriting is appalling but the recipient has received something which I have created and for the time I was writing it, she was topmost in my mind.

I hope she has received as much pleasure as she has given me.


5 comments:

  1. You can't beat a good old fashioned letter, I am afraid these days I only write letters to my friends who I don't see much at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post! I received your letter on Saturday as we were leaving to go on a long weekend trip. I was so excited to get it and yes, you are right -- in handwriting a letter your attention is on that person alone for a time, unlike trying to multi-task on a computer. I hadn't really thought of it that way but you are correct. I really enjoyed hearing from you and your handwriting is just fine! I will be sending my reply soon and look forward to a lovely pen-pal friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll wait to receive your letter even though I am bursting with things I want to say! However, I don't want our letters to cross in the post again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be writing soon -- I need to find some nice paper! It has been so long since I have actually bought stationery I am excited to do that again as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to send you a Christmas card!
    And I love this blog post!!!

    ReplyDelete