Search This Blog

Friday 13 May 2016

It's the little things

Sometimes I feel a bit Pollyanna-ish when I write this blog as I always want to accentuate the positives and rarely report the negatives.  I feel there are enough unhappy people and enough unhappy news without my adding to life's misery.

I've been busy today doing a few of my unfavourite things - cleaning the oven and the fridge, scrubbing bins, tidying things away - but I seem to have had a smile on my face all day.

I've realised that much of my joy comes from the little things.  This morning as I was doing the ironing I added some lavender oil to my water spray and enjoyed the perfume.  I sprayed the pillowcases and know they will be extra lovely when I change the bed.  I scooped out soap powder and laundry bleach using coffee cups with pictures of Winnie the Pooh and Eeyore respectively.  There was a blackbird singing while I pegged out the washing.  Jack's handiwork is flourishing in my vegetable patch.

I could go on and on listing the little things which have enriched my day but many are very personal things which evoke memories and bring very personal pleasure.  The best thing though is that in retirement I have time to enjoy, to savour and yes, to give thanks.

My Sabbath is beginning.  I am truly blessed.  Thank you for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with keeping the positive side facing up! I have to clean out the freezer sometime. A slushy drink got crammed in the freezer and then it sprayed all over. I won't put a name to culprit, but it is pretty messy. I surface wiped, but everything needs to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the little things -- life would be very mundane without them. And facebook -- life is much happier without facebook -- be glad you aren't onit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am VERY happy not to be on any social media! Little things like smelling my first rose, or seeing the Goldfinches feeding, are so special.

    ReplyDelete