Search This Blog

Saturday 14 April 2018

I never thought I would type a post like this!

Hi everyone!  Jack* here.  It's been well over a year since I posted on this blog and it's time I did, so here goes.

I haven't been to my friend's house for well over a year now because of knee problems but she's been to see me many times.  Just before Christmas she came and brought me a Santa bag which I wasn't expecting.  In it there was a woolly hat, a Christmas jumper, some cans of Mackeson, a sugar mouse, a book and a DVD each about Lincolnshire, some hand-warmers and many more things, about eighteen in fact.  If there was an award for kindness she would win it hands down.  I'm not the only one she visits so I hope the others appreciate it as much as I do.

The last sixteen months have been the worst in my life.  I was restricted in what I could do but after waiting 390 days I've finally had my knee done.  I've never had pain so bad.  I was on painkillers every two hours but now, fourteen days after the op, I can finally feel an improvement.  I just can't imagine how people on their own manage.  My wife has been brilliant .  I just couldn't have managed without her.   She's had to do everything: cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, putting the rubbish out, and taking our little dog for walks.  To make matters worse I've only been sleeping 3-4 hours a night, getting up with her help from 3am.  She must be so tired.  I say to all husbands, "Treasure, treat and look after your missis: they expect so little in return."  We have a very special anniversary celebration coming up to which my vicar friend is invited.  It will be a nice change for me to take her out for dinner but I might see the chef and ask him to put a hook or something in her's to make up for some of the stuff I've had to endure over the years.  We put on the invites that we didn't want any presents or gifts.  The only present we ever wanted all our married lives was each other.  We will enjoy our special meal with family and a few friends for a couple of hours - that will be perfect.

I'd like to finish by thanking everyone who has asked the vicar about me.  To Boyett-Brinkley, Rambler and Margie from Toronto, your kind words meant so much.  I'm sure The Vicar will keep you all up-to-date.  Once again I'm sorry I haven't written before but I've been so down in the dumps but things are now looking up..  Look after yourselves and remember that riches come from the heart, not the pocket.  Take care and God Bless.

Jack.

Note by Frugally Challenged.  New(ish) readers may not know that Jack is my gardener and handyman and most of all my friend but it is rare that he is as polite about me on my blog. For explanations about "hook cuisine" see click on the labels.   Overseas readers may not know that Mackesons is Jack's favourite tipple.  It's a stout (sort of beer).  I also took  him a couple of cans yesterday so he should be a happier bunny.

9 comments:

  1. Good to hear that Jack is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad his knee surgery was a success. Good friends know what we appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Jack, it's difficult to hear that this past year has been very rough for you, especially as you're so valued by many in your community but it is wonderful to hear that you're beginning to feel better after the painful surgery!

    It's one of life's greatest blessings that you're able to have such strong friendships with such wonderful people (your friend the vicar).Also your wife sounds like one of the truly great ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jack -- it hasbeen so nice getting to know you through Mary. As one with knee issues myself, I can feel your pain but am so glad you have gotten yourself fixed and are on the road to recovery! What you say in this post is so true -- value the relationships and friendships -- they are worth more than anything in the world. Keep getting better and let us hear from you again soon! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thrilled to hear that your are on the mend. Happy anniversary and wishing you both many more happy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so good to hear from you and that things are improving for you, Jack. May you have continued steady progress so that you can take back all those manly jobs around the house - and the Vicar's garden (and rein in those plant-buying expediions!) Wishing you abd your wonderful wife a very Happy Special Anniversary. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jack will be able to read all your comments but not reply to them so I'll say thank you on his behalf. He's looking forward to the pain disappearing so that he can come back and doubtless he will then be posting again. But maybe he will never be this polite about me again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack - so nice to know that you are now doing so much better. A friend of mine had the same surgery just a couple of weeks before you - and while it was much tougher than his hip replacement, he is now doing a lot better and seeing daily improvements. Just think of how well you'll be able to get around come this summer!
    My friend would echo your comments about his wife - we don't realize how much we should appreciate our loved ones until something like this happens and we become so reliant upon them. I'm sure your wife is touched by your words.
    I hope that the upcoming anniversary celebration is wonderful for you both - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a while and you must be doing better which is good news!
    Sandra at ThistleCove.Farm

    ReplyDelete