Search This Blog

Monday 26 December 2016

It wouldn't be Christmas without a post from Jack!

Hi Everyone

I’m back from Malta with a nice tan and it’s got round to that time of the year again – Christmas.  Christmas isn’t a good time for me.  My mum died around this time nineteen years ago.  Also in December 63 years ago the good Lord called my sister to join him.  She was only fifteen years old and it devastated my parents.  Christmas wasn’t the same after that.  I like to spend time on my own and I get rather emotional as well, but I am getting better.  This year I am wearing Christmas jumpers so I think at last I am getting better.

On arrival at my friend’s house I could sense something was wrong.  We had a chat over a cup of tea.  It turned out she was a bit out of sorts and so tired.  Vicars have a hard time of it this time of year but I hope my visit cheered her up.

I put up the outside tree and planted some plants I’d got her for Christmas then did a few more bits and bobs outside and then while she had a rest I did my bit on the kitchen.  After about an hour and a quarter the kitchen was sparkling clean including the floor.  Then I assembled an oil heater so she can sit in the conservatory.  Next I hoovered through the house.  Then after I’d sorted the sitting room I got two more Christmas trees out of the garage, put them into position, and brought in the decorations for her to trim the tree but before that DINNER!!!  Today’s menu was baked spuds with sweetcorn and grated cheese with butter on as well.  I hope I’m not making your mouth water!  Surprise, surprise – no mistakes today.

She knew I had to go before 2pm as my wife was going to see “Frozen on Ice” as part of her Christmas present from our daughter so I just daren’t be late.  My eldest granddaughter Louise, who also helps my friend when I am in Malta, was driving them all to the show and they were taking my younger granddaughter too.  Due to circumstances we didn’t meet this granddaughter until she was 2½ years old.  She was very shy at first but soon she would meet me before I got out of my car, grab my hand and take me up and down the street telling everybody, “Look, I’ve got a grandad!  I’ve got a grandad”.  I’m the only grandad my two granddaughters have.  It is   such a great feeling to be held in such high esteem. 

Christmas is all about giving – well someone on my family is going to be very happy.  It’s nothing to do with money and it’s nothing edible.  You’ve all heard of the twelve days of Christmas?   I’m going to write twelve words on a card to someone and I know they will be so happy when they see it. 

Rambler, I hope you get your knee done. I think I am heading down that path as well.  The doc has said that am too young (at nearly 74!) to have it done.  Good luck with yours.

To all the good folk who follow this blog (and I mean you as well, Vicar) I hope you all have a happy Christmas and a great 2017.

To everyone wherever you are, whatever you do, wherever you go, may the good Lord be at your side always.

My best wishes, Jack


PS, see you in the New Year, Vicar, and thanks very much for everything.

Jack came just before Christmas and sent this post soon after so I'm a bit late posting it.  Sorry, Jack but I hope Christmas was good for you too.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice post, Jack! I feel like I know you! I hope you have had a Merry Christmas and looking forward to a wonderful 2017.

    ReplyDelete