Search This Blog

Sunday 23 October 2016

No more locusts


The reading in church this morning was one of my favourite passages from the Old Testament.  It's from the Book of Joel and it includes the promise, "I will restore to you the years which the locust has eaten"

Seven years ago I took early retirement because of ill health.  I had loved my job but two years of caring for my mum (she had to cope with the amputation of a leg and then the gradual loss of her health leading eventually to dementia and death) had taken their toll on me and I was more than stressed out and no longer coping.  Early retirement was both a relief and a devastation.  I felt, as they say, that I was on the scrap heap with little more to give.

The first couple of years of retirement weren't easy either.  My sister (whom I'd cared for through cancer ten years earlier) became terminally ill so once again I became a carer.  Early retirement was a time of very limited income as only about half my pensions were payable at that time.  

Gradually things improved.  My income is now comfortable.  My home is a peaceful place where I can relax.  I'm no longer "the vicar" but I have a regular congregation whom I love and which appreciates me.

And today I am sixty five, the age at which I would have expected to retire anyway.  I cannot remember ever being happier than I am now.  The locusts munch no more.

God is indeed good

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday dear friend across the pond.May you have a year of smiles,laughter, songs and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday dear friend across the pond.May you have a year of smiles,laughter, songs and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday and wishing you many more happy years of contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The locusts munch no more."

    What an incredible birthday reflection! Happy Birthday from me and Abner!!! Blessing upon blessing in this new year of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From one 1951 "broad" to another-Happy Birthday! Have not worked in almost six years and wonder when I ever found the time to work! May you continue to be blessed in your life journey.

    Best wishes from Best Bun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday! I have been through those things you speak of and know how devastating it can be but you are a good woman and have come out of it well! So glad to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday Mary, I'm glad to hear that things are good for you and may they continue for many years to come. I am busy crafting away for our swap, I have sent a couple of emails but I'm not sure if they have made it through xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy. I've just sent you an e mail. Sorry about the delay

      Delete
  8. Just found your lovely blog Mary, happy belated birthday wishes, I loved reading your reflections on retirement, so happy that you're now in a good place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just nipped over and seen yours. I'm now a follower!!

      Delete