Search This Blog

25 September 2026

V is for vespers

I have to admit that I’m more of a Compline sort of gal than a Vespers one.  Compline is at bedtime: Vespers is the evening prayer and is a little earlier.  In the C of E we now have it as Evensong and maybe Compline later on.  I’m cheating slightly as I’m going to roll them all together with prayers in the evening to be my “V” post.  And it seems right to think about this in autumn.

There is something rather satisfying about the day coming to an end.  It may not have been very productive – that doesn’t matter.  It’s a day which I’ve spent with God whether or not I have thought about him and it’s a day I want to give back in prayer.  We spend much of our lives trying to squeeze more into the day. Vespers does the opposite. It says: stop now. The day is ending. You don't have to do anything more.

The formal service involves a psalm, some Scripture, prayers and, traditionally, the beautiful Magnificat — Mary's song of praise from the Gospel of Luke.  I use the Book of Common Prayer version with its wonderfully old fashioned language.  Sometimes the prayer can be as simple as sitting quietly for a few minutes at home and consciously handing the day over to God.  The world will manage, even if I stop pedalling.

Vespers invites us to look back over the day — not to judge it, but simply to notice it.  The things that went well.  The things that didn't.  The small kindness we received.  And perhaps the things we wish we had done differently.  Then we let them go.

I think there is something especially comforting about an evening prayer that has been prayed by Christians for centuries. Somewhere, in some church, monastery or quiet room, people have been watching the daylight fade and saying their prayers long before we invented electric lights, central heating and online shopping.

We still need to stop.  We still need to give thanks.  We still need forgiveness.

Some ancient traditions are worth keeping.

 

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for explaining it, Mary. We don't have anything quite so formal in my religion, but, the Temple has an evening puja or worship service that anyone is welcome to attend. Personally, I switch on the altar lights first, every evening, before I switch on any other lights in the house and say a brief prayer. The altar light remains switched on all night until I turn it off in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may have explained it as rather more formal than it is for most people. I like the idea of a dedicated light burning all night as prayer while we sleep.

      Delete
  2. In the Jewish tradition, the altar light burned continuously too.
    Ending (and beginning) the day with a quiet moment of meditation /prayer is a good habit.
    I was introduced to Compline many years ago, who maintained that Complan, the bedtime drink, was designed to be drunk at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to be reminded of the links between various faiths. I shall tell my zoom group which meets to say compline weekly that they should be drinking Complan.

      Delete
  3. I've never thought of the things I say thank you for at bedtime as being Compline. I find that idea very pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I practise mindfulness each day, and I think that is a kind of prayer for me-quiet and still for a few minutes at the start or end of my day. I was raised in the Presbyterian Church of Scotland which doesn’t have the same practices as those you describe but funnily enough my father always made us say our prayers before we went to bed each night. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evening prayer is a wonderful thing. The day is done and we have lots to be thankful for.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete