Search This Blog

09 September 2026

H is for harvest

 

When I was a little girl I always went to my grandparents farm for a week in the summer holidays.  I liked it to be at the end of the holidays as at the end of August the barley harvest would start.

This year the barley and most of the wheat in this area was harvested before the end of July.  That was largely because this has been such a hot, dry year (and yields have not been good) but seed producers have bred grains which mature earlier than many older varieties.  Fields around here have not only been harvested: they have been ploughed and harrowed and I think seeds have been sown ready for next year.

But my garden brings its own harvest too.  Two or three times each week I have been cooking tomatoes and making my own puree.  It will be used as the basis for soups and sauces throughout the winter.  My precious butternut squash is still in the garden but soon it will come in.  This year I've grown French beans  and I think I have had a better yield than friends who have grown runner beans.  My leeks are OK but don't look overly wonderful.  Beetroot will soon be brought in and salad leaves have given me poor returns.

I decided against carrots and broad beans this year: carrots because they are so cheap in the shops and broad beans because I hate the black fly.

My freezer is packed to the gunwales: I feel truly blessed.  

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the Autumn harvest started early where you are. I'm getting lots of kale and some moringa pods from the garden plus plenty of eggs from the two hens; I am very thankful for my rather modest harvest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up moringa. It sounds an interesting plant.

      Delete
    2. It used to be my favorite vegetable when I was a child and since I didn't like vegetables in general, my mother didn't mind buying moringa (which tended to be a big expensive) for me.

      Delete