 |
| Cow parsley |
There are some weeds which I rather like. I do have my standards but there is something
rather lovely about umbellifers standing near autumn hedges.
Umbellifers? They
are plants with umbrella-shaped heads made up of dozens of tiny flowers.
 |
Queen Anne's lace
|
Cow parsley is probably the one most of us recognise,
although by autumn it has gone from its frothy white springtime self to
something altogether more skeletal. The flower heads dry beautifully, catching
the low autumn light and looking almost like tiny pieces of lace. Wild carrot does much the same. Its flower
heads flatten and curl inwards as they age, forming those curious little shapes
sometimes called a ‘bird’s nest’. And
wild carrot has the lovely alternative name of Queen Anne’s lace.
They are really pretty.
ReplyDeleteThey add real interest to verges, I think.
DeleteI love umbellifers!
ReplyDeleteGlorious, aren't they!
DeleteA new word for me.
ReplyDeleteIt was a long forgotten one for me. Wait for X!
DeleteI remember seeing Queen Anne's lace growing along the roadsides when I lived in Wisconsin, but, rarely see them here, in southern California. But, they are very pretty and you found a very fitting word for U. :)
ReplyDeleteI was rather pleased to find it.
DeleteLots of Queen Anne's lace here. I find it such a beautiful flower though most people here call it a weed.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
They call it a weed here too. But a weed is just a flower growing in the wrong place..
Delete