One of the
great rebellions of my retirement is claiming the right to do nothing. I had a busy working life, was carer for both
my mother and my sister, ran a house and garden which were much too big for me
and now I enjoy the pleasure of quietness.
I’d hate you to
feel that idleness is easy. I have only
to look around and I can see so many things which I should be doing but I
struggle and say “nah”.
The bins ought
to be emptied. The laundry is
breeding. I have lots of cupboards which
need to be sorted. But I'm ignoring all
of it.
Even the birds
are quieter. The springtime avian urge for
romance is a distant memory and now there is abundant food and they feel little
urge to squabble.
But it isn’t
really quiet. The freezer motor hums. The occasional car passes. Even my tummy gives the odd rumble. Two of those are easy to ignore.
But mostly
there is quietness.
The leaves can
fall without my assistance.
The rain can
rain.
The washing can
wait.
I am content.

I love Mark 6.31, esp in The Message version " Jesus said to the disciples 'Let's take a break and get a little rest'
ReplyDeleteit's pretty good!
DeletePeace and Quiet now and again is good - you found a cosy photo for this post
ReplyDeleteIt was a happy find!
DeleteIt's a great feeling, just to sit and watch nothing much.
ReplyDeleteA really good afternoon, I feel
Delete'Drop thy still dews of quietness....'
ReplyDeleteAnd my strivings have ceased.
DeleteIt’s an art that is worth cultivating-a sense of stillness and calm. My daughter has learned the lesson, early and I made her a slightly weighted quilt which she uses to lie on the sofa and relax after a stressful day at work. Catriona
ReplyDeletethat sounds to be a useful and lovely make.
DeleteI need to embraxe quiet...idleness I've mastered.
ReplyDeletewell, once idleness has been mastered, quiet can follow!
DeleteIt's the great thing about retirement; we get to decide what is worth doing and when we want to do it. People who aren't retired don't understand that quietness isn't laziness. It's just a priority. And I think it's the best one.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you there!
DeleteQuietness is a blessing, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely!
Delete