Search This Blog

17 September 2026

O is for overcast

After a summer in which few people felt that we didn’t have enough sunshine, we’re now getting a little bit (but not whole days) of overcast weather.  The sky is grey, the garden looks slightly sulky and the sun has clearly decided that today is not a working day. 

Instead, the sky says: Stay in. Indoors will be best today.  And I just don’t argue.

Great artists look at gloom and see colours the rest of us would otherwise miss.  Mostly we see flat grey but look closer, there is colour in that murk.

Look at the garden.  Colours seem deeper, maybe richer, the greens change their tone and, if the spiders have been busy, there’s dew on their webs.   The leaves have changed colour but for the most part, they are still on the trees. 

And look around in the house.  That’s better now that the sun isn’t telling the world how long it is since I dusted. 

Clouds are not necessarily a bad thing. They soften the light, slow us down and remind us that life doesn't have to be sunshine and blue skies every day.


Hurrah!  Blogger has updated my reading list! Life is looking up!

 

12 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying the greyer days... as long as well get a glimpse of sun every so often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo of dark skies is really good, much more interesting than the light grey all over here this morning.
    Hope the reading list thing is sorted. I gave up and put my reading list in alphabetical order instead - makes it easier to find the blogs I know are writing regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been finding the ones which post regularly but not the spasmodic ones. And it's still not updating fully but better than it was by far.

      Delete
  3. We have heavy rain followed by sun ish spells this morning but still not cold. I’m sewing, so all’s well in my world. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a little rain but not bad. I may venture out later on.

      Delete
  4. I saw a few updates but not all of them. Very strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, closer examination shows quite a few omissions from the list. Very strange indeed.

      Delete
  5. That photo could be a painting, the clouds look like brush strokes, artists can definitely show the beauty in grey skies. We've had a little rain today, I'm missing the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, Jo. It's a long time bfore we are likely to get cloudless days again!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for pointing out the good in overcast, grey days. It's been rather cloudy and overcast in the mornings, over here, but, the afternoons have been sunny. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. The weather is actually quite lovely in its variety at the moment

      Delete