Search This Blog

14 September 2026

L is for larder

 

My Mother’s pantry always looked wonderful at this time of the year.  She was a great jam-and-pickle maker and there would be regimented rows of jars on the pantry shelf.  Raspberries, apples and pears from the garden would have been bottled and each Kilner jar held the promise of a fruit pie or crumble.  She’d have made a start on Christmas preparations so there would be jars of homemade mincemeat.  

I sometimes feel I’d like to be like that but I don’t even have a pantry, never mind rows of Kilner jars making me feel like the cook at Downton Abbey!

What I do have is a freezer and a large cupboard.  I’ve been making gallons of soup as well as portions of stewed fruit to have with my porridge or yoghurt.  And I’m building up my supplies of tins in case we have power cuts and the freezer has to stay very firmly shut.

In retirement I have more time for cooking and my supplies of dried pulses and nuts are much larger – many a squirrel would envy me!

There is something very satisfying about putting food by for winter. It feels wonderfully old-fashioned and sensible.

My “larder” doesn’t have shelves that look beautiful on Instagram.  Rather it reflects my lifestyle choice that if the weather is horrid I do not want to have to go shopping. 

 

12 comments:

  1. This post brings back memories of my mum at this time of year, she had a larder full of jars as well, it's a busy time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful to remember and also to be thankful for freezers!

      Delete
  2. We didn't have a 'proper larder' growing up... I'm not from a jamming and preserving tradition. Every so often I wonder if I'm missing something here....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't try and find it now! It was jolly hard work. My mum bought me my frst freezer because she didn't want me to have the hard work she had.

      Delete
  3. I've not kept up with your alphabet posts very well. The lack of updates on my blog roll is not keeping me updated. I switched off the posts' titles on the blog roll and just list the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is nearly impossible at the moment! I'm managing daily posts but my page views are pitifully low.

      Delete
  4. My dear and sadly departed MIL had a book titled "Putting Food By" written by Ruth Hertzberg, Beatrice Vaughn, and Janet Greene and published by Stephen Greene Press, Brattleboro, Vermont in 1973. It's a wonderfully informative book. I now own this book but have lupus and the accompanying lupus fatigue, so seldom put food by these days.
    Wishing you well!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And hugs to you. No lupus here, just too many years under my belt.

      Delete
  5. I don't have a larder, either, but, I do make several jars of jam, chutney, and preserved fruit, each year. I don't have a separate freezer, just the one that comes with the fridge, and I freeze my garden produce, as well. But, I'm always very conscious of the fact that the food in the freezer will keep only as long as we have electricity. One big earthquake or heavy storm can cause the electricity to stop. I prefer to can what I can for long term storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm thinking about no-electricity stores too. Earthquakes sound terrifyng.

      Delete
  6. Working on getting my larder (pantry) set up for winter here on the prairies. It is taking a bit longer than expected this year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete