Search This Blog

08 September 2026

G is for ginger

There are some things in life that I feel I ought to like.  Ginger is one of them.  

It is supposed to be wonderfully good for you. It is warming, soothing, invigorating.   It turns up in healthy recipes, herbal teas and many other worthy comestibles.

But I feel very ambivalent about it

I’m OK with garlic and ginger in a stir fry or even a little bit in my Christmas pud.  But ginger biscuits, ginger flapjack, ginger cake (or parkin) – no. 

And people are very enthusiastic about it.  “You’d really like my home-made ginger biscuits”  they say.  Not if the bikkies taste of ginger, thank you.

No, I don’t want it fresh.  Forget crystallised ginger.  No sprinkling on melon.

It is supposed to be so good for us but I have reached the age where I feel entitled to a few food preferences. I am quite happy to eat vegetables, fruit, porridge and all the other things that sensible adults are apparently supposed to enjoy. I will make an effort. I will try new things.

But ginger?  No thank you.  When I was a child the rule was that I had to eat a little of everything but one of the small freedoms of getting older is knowing that I don't have to like everything.

 

16 comments:

  1. I’m loving your alphabet posts. So interesting.
    But I love love love ginger flavoured biscuits, gingerbread, ginger crunch slice, indeed anything ginger. I used to bake gingerbread for my mother but since she’s gone to heaven I have stopped as it seems to settle on my hips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could like gingerbread and things but no, it's not for me. Glad you are enjoying my autumn posts.

      Delete
  2. I'm a ginger fan; so was my father. He liked crystallised ginger, and stem ginger in syrup, and ginger jam.
    One of the freedoms of growing up was not having to finish up everything on your plate. Especially when faced with a huge serving in a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember crystalised and stem ginger at home. They were rather expensive and Mother loved them so there was no pressure on me to eat them!

      Delete
  3. I quite like ginger in small quantities, but I can't say that I am a huge fan. I use it in cooking and one slice of ginger cake or a ginger biscuit is ok, but I don't like anything that tastes too strongly of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it an overwhelming flavour and whatever it's in, that's all I can taste.

      Delete
  4. I do like ginger biscuits and crystalized ginger and I use ginger in my chutney and cooking. But, there are other flavors that I don't like (such as licorice) so, I am okay with you not liking ginger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting that you can't stand ginger. To each his/her own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like a good gingersnap cookie for dunking in my coffee or tea. But I really don't like cilantro at all.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be coriander here. Sorry you don't like that - I find it delicious! But ginger and coriander are both very definite flavours.

      Delete
  7. A joy of aging is I don't need to eat foods I don't like. Hurray. You can say no to ginger. I do like ginger, especially that dried sugared ginger. There's foods I don't like including oat milk, etc. Give me real milk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on that. Actually, I do think I have some sort of mild allergic reaction to ginger. My tongue starts to get pins and needles and goes a bit numb when I eat it!

    ReplyDelete