05 October 2026

The Day That Didn't Exist

Imagine waking up on the morning of 5 October 1582, putting the kettle on, and discovering that the day had been cancelled. Not postponed or moved.  Cancelled.  Because in parts of Europe, 5 October 1582 simply didn't exist.

By the sixteenth century, the old Julian calendar had drifted out of step with the seasons. It was only a tiny error each year, but after 1,500 years, tiny errors become rather less tiny.  So Pope Gregory XIII introduced a new calendar.  He simply removed ten days.  In countries adopting the change, Thursday 4 October was followed immediately by Friday 15 October.

Gone were the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th.  Ten days had vanished from the calendar.

But not here in Britain.  We Brits didn’t accept the Pope’s authority to cancel ten days.  In 1582 it was just Spain, Portugal and parts of Italy.   When Britain finally changed by Act of Parliament  in 1752, we had fallen even further behind. Eleven days had to be removed, so Wednesday 2 September was followed by Thursday 14 September.

But back to 1582.  The people affected hadn't actually lost ten days of their lives. Time carried on perfectly normally. It was the number printed on the calendar that changed.  (Now I’ve written that I’m thinking they probably didn’t have printed calendars.)

So spare a thought for 5 October.  A perfectly respectable date.  And yet, in some countries, it never got its turn.

 

14 comments:

  1. The change here in the C18 caused lots of problems with all the folklore and weather sayings - must have been very confusing, many people refused the idea for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it hard to imagine how it happened. Although the date changed by eleven days, the days of the week just carried on so there were still seven days between markets, Sundays etc. which made it easier for ordinary people to adjust.

      Delete
  2. I struggle with moving the clocks for BST. losing whole days would blow my mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have made everything very difficult when the calendars were out of sync for 150 years

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s fascinating and thank you for sharing. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rather amused me when I found it, which is why I blogged about it.

      Delete
  5. I must share that with my friend whose birthday is today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't know this. I did know it happened again as Sue says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we all learn something every day - but not on 5th October 1582!

      Delete
  7. I did not have any idea this is how the calendar changed. Thank you for sharing this.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete