I can't tell you how pleased I was to find Xanthophyll to put in my autumn alphabet. It's probably the most autumnal word in my list but I'd never heard of it. And I would take any X word!
Xanthophyll is a natural yellow pigment found in plants. In the summer it is masked by chlorophyll which is the green pigment essential for photosynthesis. It helps protect leaves from damage caused by too much sunlight. As autumn arrives, chlorophyll breaks down. The yellow xanthophyll pigments remain visible, giving leaves their yellow and golden colours. It's there all the summer and it's only towards the end of the life of the leaf that it is revealed.
So now you know too! (If you didn't already.)

I didn't know - so thank you. What a handy word for X for Autumn .
ReplyDeleteIt was a Real Find!
DeleteIt's a great X word and very appropriate for autumn! Well done!
ReplyDeleteI feel Very Proud of Me.
DeleteI did not know that. Thank you for a new word.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Enjoy "my" new word.
DeleteThe word made just for you!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely.
DeleteThank you for finding that word and sharing it. Catriona
ReplyDeleteMy gift to Blogland today!
Delete