23 September 2026

T is for twilight

 

Tomorrow, 23rd September, is the autumnal equinox , that curious point in the year when day and night are roughly equal in length. After that, here in the Northern Hemisphere the nights begin to win their annual contest with the daylight.

In other words, evenings are drawing in.

There is something comforting about twilight. The birds become quieter and the whole world seems to take a deep breath.

It’s the time to light a gentle lamp and curl up with a drink or a book and decide that anything not done today can jolly well wait until tomorrow.

Twilight also makes the ordinary look slightly magical.  A few lights glowing in windows suddenly seem wonderfully welcoming.

The autumn equinox feels like a little marker in the year.  Summer is officially stepping aside. The leaves are changing, the mornings are cooler and the evenings are closing in.

Each day the nights will be a little longer and on Sunday, 25th October British Summer Time will end at 2am and we all get an extra hour’s sleep. 


14 comments:

  1. 'Just a song at twilight, when the lights are low...' started playing in my mind....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sun is already lower in the sky, shadows are growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooler here this morning after a night of torrential rain. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother had Sundowner's Syndrome towards the end of her life; she'd get so confused and agitated. I didn't know what it was at the time and didn't understand the change in her in the evenings and dreaded it. I like a lovely sunset, but, I tend to draw the drapes almost as soon as the sun sets because I don't like to see the day end. I need to learn to see the benefits of twilight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of Sundowner's Syndrome but I've now checked and it sounds unpleasant and sad. You and your mother must have had a hard time.

      Delete
  5. I do like the thought of an extra hours sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After a couple of weeks off (and the lie-ins that go with it), I got quite the shock when I saw how dark it was when I got up for work this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was the shock about the light or the work, I ask myself! After two weeks both would have shocked me!

      Delete
  7. There really is something magical about twilight.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete