Search This Blog

Friday 2 August 2019

Three fortunates, one unfortunate

Fortunately the day started off quite well.  I did some ironing, prepared a casserole to cook in the slow cooker, did the competitions and crosswords, tidied up a little and mid-afternoon I felt it was time to sample the casserole.  It  was bubbling in the conservatory and it smelt delicious.

Unfortunately fate had different ideas and the next thing I knew I was on the floor having tripped over the door sill.  And next to me was the clothes airer which I'd fallen on and was no longer airing clothes.  No way could I get up so I tried to hitch myself back over the door sill to get to the phone but I couldn't manage it.  So I sat and shouted. 

Fortunately as it is summer everyone has their windows open so I was heard and neighbours came running.  I wasn't hurt and I had fallen very gently so two strong men hitched me up on to a chair. 

And the third fortunate?  I'd won a case of prosecco so I was able to say thank you in a tangible way.

And maybe there was a fourth fortunate - I hadn't got around to opening the case so I couldn't be accused of having been on the bottle before I fell.  

(don't worry, I've already made arrangements to have the door sill modified.  Just a few weeks ago I had a key safe installed next to the back door so rescuers can get to me.)

25 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm glad you're okay. That could have been nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine. It was a good way to get to know the neighbours a little more.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness for open windows and strong arms. Glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are fine but I am giggling at the 4th fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you weren't hurt, have good neighbours AND Prosecco!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you are okay. Good thing the neighbours heard you and helped you out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are OK. Must have given you a nasty fright. Do you have "necklace alarms" in the UK? The DBEM has one so she can push and raise the alarm with the ambulance service at any time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do. I'm going to investigate or maybe make a holder so I can carry my mobile phone.

      Delete
  7. Falling gives you a nasty shock, doesn't it? But I'm glad you were able to be heard by the neighbours and that they came to the rescue so promptly. You are very sensible about having the key-safe fitted - got me thinking now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a bit old-ladyish getting it but I feel that by the time I really such things I won't feel like organising them.

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad everything turned out okay and I LOVE the way you told that story. Your fourth fortunate is really funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm fine. And I still have four bottles - honest.

      Delete
  9. Alls well that ends well, thank goodness for good neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not a nice thing to happen, glad you weren't hurt badly. A Lifeline sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your last line is too funny, about the case not being opened yet. How good your neighbors heard you and rallied round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there are STILL four bottles left! Yes, the neighbours are great.

      Delete
  12. Mary, did you knaow that the local Council will supply Lifelines, and also Key pads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know. I have reservations about alarms as so many people who have them won't wear them - I'm looking into the possibility of a wrist watch style alarm.

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness! I am glad you are ok! Falling is a scary proposition for sure!

    ReplyDelete